Search the forum,

Discuss Replace vented immersion tank with unvented indirect cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clockworks

My house was built in 1966 as a 2 bed bungalow. An oil-fired Aga with back boiler heated the water in a vented cylinder. The Aga was removed, leaving an immersion heater to heat the tank.
A dormer conversion (2 beds and a shower room) was done about 13 years ago by a previous owner, and central heating was installed - Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 oil-fired boiler (no mains gas in the village).

A few weeks ago, I replaced the original TRVs with an Evohome setup.

Everything works - to a degree:

The boiler doesn't have a bypass, so I've left one radiator open. I need to get this sorted.

The hot tap in the upstairs shower room is pitiful. Flow rate is 2l per minute, and it takes nearly 2 minutes to run hot. I think it's a combination of long pipe runs, and a header tank that's only a couple of feet above the tap. The flow in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom is just about acceptable.

Incoming mains flow seems good - around 30l per minute on an outside tap.

I'm considering getting an unvented indirect cylinder fitted in the garage, next to the boiler. This would be easier than trying to squeeze the new cylinder into the airing cupboard. Current tank is about 140l.

I had a plumber in at the weekend to look at the job, and he's quoted me for a 250l Centerstore unvented cylinder, 2 port valve, and an ABV for the heating circuit, as well as decommissioning the existing header tank and cylinder. He's proposing to feed the hot water back up through an existing washing machine supply pipe that's in the garage.

I have a few questions:

Is Centerstore an OK make?

Would feeding the hot water back up a 15mm pipe be an OK solution? It'll save a lot of work, but it would make the already tortuous pipe runs even longer, and I'm concerned that the 15mm pipework might be too restrictive.

Do I need a 250l cylinder, or would 190l be enough? Both showers are mains electric, so just one bath, 2 basins and the kitchen sink.

Hi
Center store, are fine. They are a branded one made by megaflo. It will work OK with connecting into the 15mm but, for a few hours work. I would be feeding it in 22mm from the mains and feeding 22mm hot to the nearest 22mm hot.

Hi
Center store, are fine. They are a branded one made by megaflo. It will work OK with connecting into the 15mm but, for a few hours work. I would be feeding it in 22mm from the mains and feeding 22mm hot to the nearest 22mm hot.

250 litre too big if you are on lecki showers , but if you put a 210 in that would still do a mixer shower if you ever changed it . Failing that a 180 would do a bath no problem.
As Chalked above says the center brand are good unventeds , I fit them as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace vented immersion tank with unvented indirect cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock