Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing a toilet, and moving it slightly to the left. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear plumbing forum.

I am in the process of preparing to renovate my upstairs bathroom. In doing so I am replacing the entire suite.

Whilst I am endeavouring to keep everything in the same place, it would be beneficial of we could move the toilet a few inches to the left.

Currently we have a close coupled toilet, but I'm replacing this with a back to wall toilet and a 500 wide X 330 deep back to wall fitted cabinet.

I'm OK with the supply piping, but less sure about the waste. I'll be honest, I haven't actually got my head behind there yet, but the waste exits the pan at the rear and goes straight through the outside wall into the soil stack.

Obviously I'm not about to move the hole through the wall.

There does seem to be 6-8 inches between the pan and the wall, assuming I can connect as flush to the wall as possible, how much leeway would a flexible waste connector give?

Or would this just be too much trouble?

Also, would I have to add any reinforcement to the floor?

It's not necessary to move the toilet, but it would be more comfortable of done.

Thanks.

You can purchase an offset pan connector which will give you a few inches, but if you want to move the toilet 8 inches you will Obviously need to core a new hole at a very slight angle to accomodate the fall which (depending on the type of wall) should take no longer than half an hour . You need to have a look outside to see the position of the soil stack before coring the wall.

I did a similar job recently, you can normally get a few inches play in a flexi pan connector & the vanity unit helps hide it all! anymore than that & your best coring a new hole as you don't want to create any big offsets behind the pan for obvious reasons!

Mcalpine make good flexis

I really wouldn't mess about with tight bends or flexible connectors for this as you just won't get the fall particularly as it's going to be hidden in a Vanity unit. I would recore the wall and hard pipe appropriately

I really wouldn't mess about with tight bends or flexible connectors for this as you just won't get the fall particularly as it's going to be hidden in a Vanity unit. I would recore the wall and hard pipe appropriately

Hard piping is always best but surely that's why they invented the flexi...

I'd be inclined to agree mate but not all that keen in a vanity unit from an access perspective. Plus surely that's going to have to be a hell of an angle back to the wall:smile: each to their own though

I'd be inclined to agree mate but not all that keen in a vanity unit from an access perspective. Plus surely that's going to have to be a hell of an angle back to the wall:smile: each to their own though

Back to the wall goes to the vanity unit which is 330 deep, so still got approx 350 from back of pan to allow a offset! i like a flexi, you can ensure you get a good seal on the pan before pushing it all back.

I only want to move it across about 4 inches.

The 8 inches is an estimate of the current distance between the back of the pan and the wall. This will increase to about 12 inches with the 330mm depth of the vanity unit.

I'm not sure about recoring the wall. But if that is necessary I well either do that our leave the toilet practically where it is.

you can get 50mm offset on a pan con but i find they slow the flush down and if the flush is borderline the pan doesnt always clear

Just get a BTW mcalpine jubilee clip flexi connector and dogleg it but don't kink it.

Just done some basic maths.

The pan I'm buying is 360mm wide, meaning it's centre line will be at 180mm. It will be fitted towards one side of the vanity unit and there is a 250mm wide cupboard between the vanity and the wall. That means the centre line of the pan will be ~430mm from the wall.

The current pan is centred in a space ~720mm wide, putting it's centre line at ~360mm.

Assuming I don't have to re design, I will need to move the pan by 70mm.

Pictures being worth more than words, this is what is currently installed... Sorry about the dust.

The first 3 appear to be upside down. Sorry about that.

20160128_204534.jpg

20160128_204548.jpg

20160128_204727.jpg

2016-01-28 20.56.36.jpg

Absolutely replace branch it's got no fall and pipe inside is in a bad state

Thats the beauty of having the unit, it gives you the means and distance to move your waste slightly,

That inside pipe looks like an extension piece and will therefore be of a "rubbery" material. It has to be replaced anyhow as it is perished.
The proper way to move the toilet slightly is to have the outside junction angle slightly and a slightly angled m&f bend fitted into it to straighten the pipe through the wall. You only need hole around junction made bigger.
It might just be possible to use 2 offset bends from inside though and worth going to a builders merchant to see hands on what would adapt.
But I guess a flexi from wall might be easy choice if you are happy

Last edited:
Thanks.

Obviously I'll know better when the new pan gets here, it's coming with a flexi connector anyway. So we'll see.

That's not until match though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing a toilet, and moving it slightly to the left. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock