Search the forum,

Discuss replacing tap valve (unknown type) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a dripping wall mounted basin mixer in my bathroom but I don't know how to take out the valve to replace it or the washer(?). It doesn't look like other mechanisms I've seen before. Basically there doesn't seem to be anything to get a spanner onto to unscrew it. Can anyone advise? photos below show the mechanism.
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG

The nut holding the stem in is down inside the brass outer sleeve.
You'll need a thinwall deep socket to get to it.

It may be that the outer is a screwed on extension and may unscrew for ease.

The nut holding the stem in is down inside the brass outer sleeve.
You'll need a thinwall deep socket to get to it.

It may be that the outer is a screwed on extension and may unscrew for ease.

Many thanks for that, would you know what the likely socket size would be? presumably I could google for a 'thinwall deep socket' or maybe a good plumbers merchant would have one. Before that I will try and see if the outer unscrews. Thanks again

Does the outer cylinder look like it could unscrew?

Not much space to get a grip on it without damaging the thread but just managed it and it is unscrewed and off. Photo below shows what left - the spindle seems to have a clip on it. Do I just get the right sized deep socket (60mm from tip of spindle to nut section) to take it out? thanks in advance
IMG_0335.jpg

Leave the surip alone and yes mate or a box spanner.
Make sure you have drained and turned the water off

box spanner set for under a £10 at toolstation so will get that - then try and find somewhere to get a replacement for the valve. Also need to get replacements for the cross head handles as after I unscrewed the grub screws for actual handle, the holder had seized onto the chromemspindle so had to cut it off to get the outer chrome sleeve off but enough length on the chrome spindle to fit new handle on. Do you know of a supplier where I could get new handles. Will make sure all water off and drained from upstairs taps and shower. Many thanks f0r the
IMG_0502.JPG
advice!

The new handles must fit the splines, not my area of expertise (yet) but would expect to find one size does not fit all.

Sorry, don't know, it was fitted 8 years ago, I have the chrome spindle that fits on the spline is just the actual handle element that fits onto the spindle and held by grub screws. thanks

There's no identification on any of the parts which is very unhelpful! I have managed to extract the valve but again no identification. I've run it down to a couple of local plumbers merchants but they had no clue as to the manufacturer. Photos below of the valve, maybe I should start a new thread to try and identify
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
it?

Will get the old vernier gauge out for the measurements! Thanks very much for the web address - looks promising and will give them a call tomorrow. Old valve back in so water back on and the missus can wash her hair! Will let the thread know how I get on. Cheers

If you can't get a replacement cartridge off the shelf, I'm sure one of on here can make a suitable one, and to fit whatever splined heads you want to use. We'd need to fit it too, but that's an option if you get stuck and are local to any of us.

I think I could probably make one that is better quality than the original, with a UK-manufactured spindle. I have rather a nice kit that I'm itching to use...

That's a fair point and would be something that would need to be discussed. I think we were all referring to the cartridge at this stage.

With various members helpful advice got to the stage shown on the attached storyboard and diagram. I contacted www.tapmagician.co.uk and while they were helpful and came up with a couple of solutions they did not supply a replacement valve. Now that I had to cut the chrome spindle to get to the valve I need 2 replacement valves and the chrome handle mechanisms. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

• taps storyboard.pdf
    277.5 KB · Views: 7
  • valve diagram.pdf
    138.3 KB · Views: 4

Reply to replacing tap valve (unknown type) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock