Search the forum,

Discuss Restrictor elbow gas leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I did a landlord gas safety check this week. Drop test showed a 2mbar/2 mins leak. But off I went to find it.
I found the main leak on an old cooker. The tenant could smell gas, but only when the cooker was being used. So I condemned it, and recommended a new cooker.
I also found a leak from a gas fire's restrictor elbow. With the top cap off, and the insides screwed down (i.e., turned off), the elbow was letting by. So erring on the side of caution, I removed the elbow and capped the pipe until I could return with a new elbow.
My question: what is normal on a restrictor elbow? I've read that when in the 'up' position, the screw thread can let by but the top cap keeps it all in. But surely this can't be allowed when turned off.
Words of wisdom please, before I whip off all the restrictor elbows in town.
Thanks,
Jennie

they should turn off, might be worth whipping the screw out and seeing if there's some rubbish on the face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Restrictor elbow gas leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

when I use my shower there is a leak to the property below. I stopped using it for a week and redone the waste, in this time the water leaking through to the neighbour dried out. Started using the shower again and the leak reappeared, the shower is a concealed mixer type. I believe the leak is...
Replies
Views
D
2 of my properties tenants have notified me that their boilers are leaking yellow water, i need someone ASAP since that Rubbish is disgusting and i cant let them live off like that. Water heating is fine tho, i am prepared to pay anything just get here asap post code is TA5
Replies
Views
Dany Michael
D
Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a steady stream without stopping. Seems to be coming from water heater but I cannot tell. It is cold water. When I turn off the main water supply, it...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The question I have though is that the gas smell only appears when the boiler fires up not when the pilot is burning normally. Gas smell continues as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have taken out the heat exchanger because a tiny leak was found around the red gasket at the top of the heat exchanger of a Worcester Green Star 28i Junior. The gasket itself is in perfect condition with no cracks. As you can see from the photo, the rust is near that holding...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock