Search the forum,

Discuss Retraining to become a Gas Heating Engineer with KIER! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark#91

Hi all

Firstly I would like to thank all in advance that take the time to reply with both negative and positive feedback…. Just a quick bit about myself I'm coming up to 40 ex forces been out 14 years. Joined BT as engineer changed career paths and done some private security and now looking at a Gas Heating Course with Newcastle based company called Kier with a view to starting my own business…..

First question am I too old and wasting my time???

Secondly if not has anyone had any previous experience with Kier?

The course is a comprehensive 12 week course where you will be out with another engineer and also receive dedicated one to one support.. They provide resettlement courses to the forces so I would guess the course will have been vetted by someone to say its a good course. But with past experience not always the case…..

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice whether it be gas or plumbing as plumbing might also be an option too… Ideally I'd like to cover all bases but I'm not a millionaire and will need to start earning asap….

Cheers everyone….

Mark.

There is a saying which still holds true.
"The basic rule to truly know your craft is 10,000 hours."
That's 40 hours a week for 5 years or thereabouts.

You won't be running your own business as such more like running a business like a headless chicken?

It can be done at a late age i was 36 when i got into this trade and am 43 next month. but 1 thng is certain you will not earn money straight away after passing your exams.
working for yourself will cost you money to set up and run a business. you wont earn decent money in the short term at least 3 years as you build up a customer base. i could go on and on about all the other crap but i wont. if your determined you will do it. but if you need to earn straight away i would look elsewhere or give some real serious thought about what you want to do as a career because this job isnt the pot of gold that companies like kier and such claim it is.

Yeah i understand it will take time I am luckily enough to be in a position to buy a van and tools up front and maybe 6 months of savings.

I do have friends in the industry that might throw me a bone once in awhile but I understand it will be their name and business on the line… And I totally understand it will take time to fully learn the craft but everyone must start somewhere, The choices are drive trucks and get fat and have no life, Try telecoms of which their is little work for a network construction engineer like myself or find myself a middle management role….

The idea of being my own boss is one of the main driving forces, I did start a sparky's course years back but got back in to BT and to go down that route well thats just not an option really….

I'm certainly under no disillusion that after my course I'll suddenly be a millionaire and successful, but one must give it a bash….

Can anyone offer insight in to a good course provider in the north east??? Is just under £5,000 for a 12 week course value for money?

Anything I should avoid or any past experiences you guys have had with courses ?

I certainly don't want to go down the online route as Ive already read that doesn't hold well with ppl in the industry…

Admin close this thread please I've just seen and read another lad's post same course and boat as me, Some good replies some not…. Anyway this will just be a repeat of other thread so no point in mine….cheers

What about the wet side as well.

A lot of 'boiler' breakdowns are nithing to do with the boiler. Need to know your wet side too imho

It can be done at a late age i was 36 when i got into this trade and am 43 next month. but 1 thng is certain you will not earn money straight away after passing your exams.
working for yourself will cost you money to set up and run a business. you wont earn decent money in the short term at least 3 years as you build up a customer base. i could go on and on about all the other crap but i wont. if your determined you will do it. but if you need to earn straight away i would look elsewhere or give some real serious thought about what you want to do as a career because this job isnt the pot of gold that companies like kier and such claim it is.
I'm amazed you've only been doing this 7 years mate, very knowledgable advice always. What was you doing before?

I'm amazed you've only been doing this 7 years mate, very knowledgable advice always. What was you doing before?
Lots of different jobs but my main job was a foundry maintenance engineer for 12 years till i was made redundant. A lot of tranferrable skills

If Bert Weedon can teach you how to play a Guitar in a day, you should be able to become a plumber in a similar manner., well maybe a rough one in a day and good one in two days, take a look in the Hall of Shame.

Some of us don't know how lucky we are to be plumbers and have a proper trade, we shouldn't moan so much about it.

Foundry sand moulded into blocks and dried for a few hours then pelted off a colleagues head! One of dads mate had a Marine foundry spent few weeks here and there casting aluminium and bronze / brass. Loved chucking the blue lending pellets in and smashing sand off a fresh casting as watering the deep red sand it smelt lovely.

Cheers all will look at the cramlington course, I'm also looking at doing a plumbers course. Maybe start that first… As pointed out you need to know you wet side…. cheers….

Email sent to NGST will keep you posted. I also intend to keep people informed of my progression to knowing nothing to becoming an engineer. Whether its good or bad then at least ppl coming in behind me can make a proper informed decision… Cheers all appreciate the help..

Ngst are good. The odd there were ex forces too....engineers I believe. With Kier you will get a work placement though? That seems to be a major sticking point for most. I've sat 2 re sits at NGST and can't fault them. They also take enhanced learning credits if you have them

The work placement is appealing I must say. Once I receive all the info from NGST I'll make an informed decision from there…. If anyone's interested in a slave for a weeks once I've done the course feel free to abuse lol… I make a great cuppa… :)

Admin close this thread please I've just seen and read another lad's post same course and boat as me, Some good replies some not…. Anyway this will just be a repeat of other thread so no point in mine….cheers

Welkom 2damadhaws Mark. I know you are desperate to have this thread closed but cropie and most of the admin are attending a party. Chances are they are all so drunk we can have our day without being noticed.

BTW, if you are so determined to own your own firm and do not want to drag your 'friends businesses' into disrepute, then start up your own company and with the 6 months savings you have, you should be able to advertise and drum up some business. Then you can always get your ''friends'' to assist you when things are above your capabilities. You will also learn much that way. It's a chance you take.
Rule number one: ENSURE YOU HAVE PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE

you started it!!

Watching the match drinking Grolsch. Debating whether or not to visit the local battlecruiser.....

Lol cheers guys I just didn't want to have my thread running same as another thread as ppl will sharp get sick of repeating themselves lol… Cheers for the advice tho guys i appreciate it.

Understand your concern Mark but, tbh, if we closed every similar thread there would only be two left open....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Retraining to become a Gas Heating Engineer with KIER! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock