Search the forum,

Discuss Room thermostat not always starting boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Our house has two central heating zones: the living room which has a programmable thermostat, and the rest of the house that has a simple dial (Honeywell) in the hall (it will be 10 years old).

We have the heating on continuous and use the thermostats to turn it on and off.

I have noticed that after turning up the dial in the hall the heating does not always start. (Sometimes there is a long delay before the boiler starts.)
However, turning up the heat in the living room will cause the boiler to start promptly and all radiators to get warm, but then turning the living room down again will turn off the whole system.

What are the possible causes of this problem?

Thanks,
rwb.

That the thermostat in the hall is not actually connected to anything and that you only have one zone that is connected to the stat in the lounge:p:p:p

If two zones could be the zone Valve connected to the hallway stat is not fully motoring over to make the switch live to the boiler.So you turn up the living room stat an the zone valve this controls motors over fully an fires the boiler,but the zone valve the hallway thermostat controls has only partially opened (burnt out motor or valve body slightly seized) meaning all the rads will heat,which could explain why then you turn the living room stat down all the rads stop heating because the other zone valve is not giving demand to the boiler

If you select Living Room only (other stat right down), does it heat alone or does it bring on the rest of the house?. If this is the case, then a jammed (partially) open Motorised valve.(I would say new valve required)
If the ROTH stat (with LR off) eventually, or sometimes, brings on the ROTH, then an intermittent fault with the MV (sort of as per SavageW). This could just be the motor on its way out, and typically presents erratic behaviour along the lines of your issue. I would suspect a motor would suffice

Does a satisfied stat independently turn off its own zone?

You were correct SavageW. The valve failed completely on 24th December, followed on 27th by the other.

Specifically, the lever in the valve was not pushing the microswitch properly and therefore not sending the signal to the boiler to start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Room thermostat not always starting boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock