Search the forum,

Discuss Safety Check on a Coalbrookdale fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Has anyone recently done a LGSC at a house with a Coalbrookdale fire in it?
What did you test? I know its not a gas appliance but it still burns solid fuel and produces CO2. Any insight would be good. Thanks.

I've not and as you say it's not part of a Gas safety report.

I would look to see if there was adequate ventilation installed though and have a nosey around it.

Would do a smoke test?

If the person you are doing the test for wants the fire checking then yes.
Smoke it, check in Loft and outside etc just like on a gas flue.
The Ventilation for solid fuel is different, just in case you don't know.
Ask for the Manu's instructions or look at them online before you go so it's fresh in your head.
Sell them a CO alarm if they don't have one

Sorry mate miss read your post. For some reason I did not see LGSC. I would smoke test it, check the flue and as it is solid fuel and a landlords it needs to have Carbon monoxide alarm fitted.

Surely this doesnt fall under a “landlords cert “ .

stress the importance of a CO detector though ( no legal requirement )

Surely this doesnt fall under a “landlords cert “ .

stress the importance of a CO detector though ( no legal requirement )

Sorry mate:

excerpt from:
The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015: Q&A booklet for the private rented sector – landlords and tenants - GOV.UK

Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (eg a coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

Has anyone recently done a LGSC at a house with a Coalbrookdale fire in it?
What did you test? I know its not a gas appliance but it still burns solid fuel and produces CO2. Any insight would be good. Thanks.

Did the LL specifically ask you to check the fire?
If not, I would test nothing, unless you are HETAS. It is not rocket science, but if you are not fully competent and get something wrong you could be liable.IMO.

If they specifically asked, I would be very careful how I couched the response or report. It should not appear on an actual LLGSC at all.

All IMO

Did the LL specifically ask you to check the fire?
If not, I would test nothing, unless you are HETAS. It is not rocket science, but if you are not fully competent and get something wrong you could be liable.IMO.

If they specifically asked, I would be very careful how I couched the response or report. It should not appear on an actual LLGSC at all.

All IMO
You still have to check if there is a CO alarm irrelevant of being HETAS and if it is an open fireplace you still have to check the chimney and do a flue flow just incase they decide to start burning stuff in the opening.

You still have to check if there is a CO alarm irrelevant of being HETAS and if it is an open fireplace you still have to check the chimney and do a flue flow just incase they decide to start burning stuff in the opening.

On a CP12 we should check all gas flues.I am not aware of anything that says e have to check SF appliances.But I am not afraid of, or offended by, being properly educated.

I did some contract work for a LA, and recall going to a crappy house to seal around a PF. I noticed a home made stove. No ventilation or alarm, and I suspected spillage. I did not test it, but mentioned to the tenant my concerns, and that I would report it to my boss. He went ape. I was a jobsworth etc. No previous gas service guy had mentioned anything. I recorded it on my paperwork, and the council went round and pulled the stove out.

I fully understand mate. But even though you are not HETAS you are classed as the last competent person in the house. It would be like walking past a fire with signs of spillage when you are only supposed to test the boiler.

Sorry mate:

excerpt from:
The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015: Q&A booklet for the private rented sector – landlords and tenants - GOV.UK

Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (eg a coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

Yep the CO alarm is for the stove not the gas , but as gas engineers we dont test HETAS appliances . Yes you would do a visual etc etc , but how do you fill the form out and put in “ working pressure “ etc etc . I would like to see sombody gas rate a stove lol .
Thats my take on it anyway

If it is a specific HETAS appliance with its own solid flue. Then I would not test because I do not have the ticket. But if it was open flue I would check the chimney and flue flow test.

Misread the original post. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Safety Check on a Coalbrookdale fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Hi I’ve got a couple of gas safety checks coming up and I’m a bit confused as to whether I need to tick yes or no to the appliance serviced part? Does a landlord cert count as a service or does this mean has the appliance been serviced within the past year? Many thanks
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock