Search the forum,

Discuss Salamander home boost pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello folks

Got a customer who wants one of these fitted in his house. House has 2 bathrooms with a combination boiler and 18-20 litres per minute coming from the kitchen sink cold mains tap.

His problem is that when he's in the shower and someone turns on the cold tap, he gets reduced flow(mixer taps)

When the house had an extension the plumber has came off the mains stopcock in 15mm.

So my question is, will the home boost help with this problem? and will it work with the hot outlets also ? I don't think it will but I have no experience with them.

one word accumulator

I think you can only pump 12 lpm from the mains which is below what you have anyway

If you've got 18-20 lpm anyway I won't do nothing ot will only pump to 12 anyway,

it advertises as if it increases the pressure when there is a drop so you get 12 lpm from each outlet simultaneously, he thinks thats what it does, I don't.

As Shaun says accumulater, home boost won't make any difference as you already have more than they pump

That's what I thought, I tried to talk him out of it he was one of those know it all types and was a medic, so he was going on about pressure and flow as if he knew better than me haha, had me questioning myself.

I much prefer the fuller answer given here, it helps people understand the why.

Accumulators offer an effective way to improve the supply pressures by providing a buffer of stored water, Air within the Accumulator (contained within a rubber diaphragm) is compressed by the mains water or charging pump (if necessary).

When a tap is opened, the water is forced out of the Accumulator to the tap,

Accumulators are an ideal solution for properties where the mains water supply cannot keep-up with the required demand; this may be the case with larger properties where multiple bathrooms may in-use simultaneously.

Sizing is important too; An Accumulator can run out of water. It won't do any harm, but when emptied, it will revert back to the original mains supply flow rate until it has re-filled.

As others have said, the Salamander product is only legally allowed to pump 12 litres per minute from the main, and if the incoming main was over 12 lpm, then the unit switches off and just goes into bypass mode. Its a very useful product, but not for this scenario.

Stuart Turner have a range of reasonably priced domestic units called flomate extra, comprising a mains pump mated with a range of accumulator vessels. The chart below gives the performance details

STflomateextra.jpg

I was simply comparing #2 to posts #3,4 & 6, where a one word answer is somewhat lacking imho.

? I'm sure op could of used the search function or google it as he already said the home boost wouldn't work but then again the op customer shouldn't of had a combi fitted with more than one shower

Last edited:
I'm sure op could of used the search function or google it as he already said the home boost wouldn't work

Guess you were tired then considering how much you normally like to help by posting links etc to posts. I remember once I directed a newbie to the "I need a plumber or ...." section and you quoted me and gave them a link which I thought was a little OTT.

Last edited:
Guess you were tired then considering how much you normally like to help by posting links etc to posts.

True been a long old slog this one has too much work too little time

it advertises as if it increases the pressure when there is a drop so you get 12 lpm from each outlet simultaneously, he thinks thats what it does, I don't.

He is misunderstanding it, if the incoming mains is 18-20 and you turn two taps on and get 12lpm from each, the incoming will still be 18-20.

Good product but not for his requirements

Would one of those inline shower booster gizmos work in this instance?

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm quoting for a boiler replacement for the customer as its a 24kw boiler in a house that's had 2 extensions, and the mains has been reduced to 15mm. Gave him quote for boiler replacement and some information on accumulator system, told him to wait until higher spec combi is in before considering booster system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Salamander home boost pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
I live most of the year on a tiny Caribbean island with no mains water. I collect rain in a 25,000 gallon cistern which is then pumped to the taps. But the house is build against a hill top. My water system is as illustrated below enabling the domestic water and garden irrigation to be served...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have a standard gravitational system at home and a Salamander pump CT force 30pt is part of the hot water system for the 2nd floor. For the last three months, the pump didn't work well and wasn't starting to generate pressure each time we opened the taps/shower handle. At the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock