1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss salamander water pump with new shower? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. sarah Jones

sarah Jones New Member

Hi all,

I have a flat which has low water pressure so the previous owner put in a Salamander water pump to go along side the thermostatic shower. We have a normal non combi bolider, a water tank in the cupboard and a cold water tank that is in the loft.

We are thinking of doing the bathroom up but don't know what type of shower we can buy to go along side the pump or whether we can buy a type of shower that means we can get rid of the pump entirely?

Thanks

2. Lou

Lou Administrator Admin Top Contributor!!

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum! The lads will be along to help you out soon :)

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Other than converting to a combi boiler I would suggest keeping the pump and depending on age might be worth a replacement

As for shower type if your going to keep the pump it should say on it somewhere the size of it (pressure in bar)

Normally either 1.5 or 2 bar

If this is the case any shower that is rated for this pressure

Mira, bristan, grohe but tbh don't go for a cheap one

4. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

You say low water pressure, is that just on the hot supply? i.e. the hot supply is the old style where you have to pre heat a cylinder to get hot water.
    If your cold pressure is OK then maybe go for an electric shower, cuts out the need for a pump.
    If you had good pressure on hot and cold then a thermostatic mixer would be the first choice, unfortunately you don't so it's either a noisy pump or get an electric shower unless you are able to spend a couple of thousand on upgrading your system to unvented or a combi.
    Of course that is presuming that your cold water pressure is pretty good. Your kitchen cold tap is the place to test your cold pressure if you don't have an outside tap,

5. sarah Jones

sarah Jones New Member

The system we have at the moment is a cold water tank in the loft, and a hot water tank in the cupboard which is heated up by the boiler. So if we want hot water we need to heat it up first before we use it.

The pump is fairly, i believe we bought it last year but we always have trouble with it and we have to remember to turn it off after we use it otherwise it gets burnt out and doesn't work. Currently it's not pumping out correctly and the pressure isn't that great. The pump is a 1.5 bar and is rph50 if that helps.

With regards to the cold water, the supply is pretty good actually, if i have an electric shower does that have to be connected into the mains behind the wall somehow?

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes needs a cable from the consumer unit (where all your fuses are for the lights sockets etc) to the bathroom