Search the forum,

Discuss scrap copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blade11

i scrap my bits and bobs once a year,just before xmas,to cut a long story short i went today and was told that he could no longer take scrap from me unless i had a waste carriers license ,what a wasted journey that was,either i sell it to my mate and take a hit or get a license,i tell ya it's getting harder.

Find another scrap merchant. Sod trying to get a waste carriers license.

It drives me MENTAL. How many tickets, licenses and passes do we need to run a small plumbing business these days?

I've heard someone on this forum extoling the virtues of having said waste carriers license. I said it then, and I'll say it now. It’s just another way for "the man" to screw us for a few more of our hard earned £'s.

Very annoyed for you mate!!

Find another scrappy!!! Mine won't do that...I hope.

whats it got to do with your scrappie if you have one? do they check your road tax too?

Any of us who carry any 'waste' is supposed to have a license- approx £150 for 3 yrs. Agree its a nightmare - i would like to know if all the beat up vans riding round have them. Its just another tax on the legitimate tradesman.

My local tip is like Alcatraz. I went in to dump some rubbish for the mother in law once, and they turned me away. As the van's sign written and they said it was trade waste I'd have to pay. It was an old bed. You don't plumb in beds....idiot.

So I took the mattress off, and carried it all the way up on foot. It weighed a ton and our tip is at the top of a long steep hill. Through the gates. Got to the top and the bloke said, "I told you, you can't drive your van in here". I said, mate I've just walked up with this. He said, "No you'll have to walk it back down".

Well I threw it into the tip, and if I repeat what I said to him, I'll get banned from the forum as well as the tip.

whats it got to do with your scrappie if you have one? do they check your road tax too?
Too slow with my typing - its law that any waste carried is illegal- unless you have the license - i got stopped and asked if i had any in the back of the van.

Last edited:
Woodsy where you get that info I asked about 2 year after getting stopped on a weigh bridge pull in think and it was about 700 a year over in huddersfield

My scrappie doesn't ask for ID and pays in cash. If he didn't I'd find one who did.

I'm joking of course, the swine is loaded. So he can't be that stupid. I've done plumbing work for two different scrappies and they've both been totally loaded.

Too slow with my typing - its law that any waste carried is illegal- unless you have the license - i got stopped and asked if i had any in the back of the van.

yes but there is no law that a scrap yard has to check you have one?

Woodsy where you get that info I asked about 2 year after getting stopped on a weigh bridge pull in think and it was about 700 a year over in huddersfield
pop on to the gov environment site £154 for three years plus a £5 for a plastic id card to save carrying their bit of paper, and read the list of fines etc they can do you, if you dont have a ticket, but it will be tax deductable, if only I could earn ehough to pay tax this year, 13 weeks off hurts the pocket.

if you get asked best to park around the corner and carry it in, tell them youve walked it down from your house.

You don't need a Licence, yet, for carying scrap copper pipe; (page 4)

[DLMURL]http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/Who_should_register.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
pop on to the gov environment site £154 for three years plus a £5 for a plastic id card to save carrying their bit of paper, and read the list of fines etc they can do you, if you dont have a ticket, but it will be tax deductable, if only I could earn ehough to pay tax this year, 13 weeks off hurts the pocket.

i had to have 20 weeks off last year after an operation, in total i worked about 5 months in the year, so the tax man can get bent if he thinks im paying £150 to transport my scrap 5 miles.

i scrapped a vw camper van some years ago i seen running around about 2 moon later looking the business.i just felt i should share that.

If it was an early shape VW camper they must have been rubbing their hands together. Even rust buckets fetch good money.

i scrapped a vw camper van some years ago i seen running around about 2 moon later looking the business.i just felt i should share that.

i scrapped my mothers garden shears, by mistake. LOL

[DLMURL]http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/Who_should_register.pdf[/DLMURL]
said been brought forward a year came in this week apparantly

i know lesson learned.

Oh so it was? Oh no!! What a bummer.

I once sold a Monkey Bike that I had purchased for £250.00.

I sold it to my mate for the same money as I didn't want to rip him off. The bloke I bought it off was emmigrating and had fully restored it, but needed it gone as he was leaving that week..told me I was getting a bargain, but I thought "yeah right!"

Well I was watching something on TV years later and the exact same one came up..... a monkey sand bike from the 70's. The exact same model, year and colour.

The one on TV was a heap and sold for over a grand. I quickly called my mate, who had left it rotting in a barn. All the seat was chewed by rats, and it had gone rusty, and he still sold it for good money on ebay. I was gutted, swine didn't give me any dosh!

It will go more or less back to normal like your not allowed to smoke in your van that lasted about a month. (i gave up anyway) you need some freedom or we will all end up like robots like films of the future

I don't believe a van full of scrap copper equates to "cut offs"

I don't believe a van full of scrap copper equates to "cut offs"

Correct, further checking shows if previously fitted in a building it's construction waste and you have needed a licence for a while.
If it's just brand new cut offs you don't need one till 2014.

If it's scraP from your own house removed by yourself you don't need a licence.

Last edited:
Correct, further checking shows if previously fitted in a building it's construction waste and you have needed a licence for a while.
If it's just brand new cut offs you don't need one till 2014.

If it's scraP from your own house removed by yourself you don't need a licence.

Sorry officer, I just can't help renewing the pipework and wiring in my house on a yearly basis!

My local yard have taken photo id for some time,now they are having to take photo id, utility bill and pay with cheque or directly into bank. I have had a waste carriers licence since 2009. As a lot of my work is commercial air conditioning some customers want to see it and waste transfer notes for recovered refrigerant. I tried to take a boiler section into a large yard and the only way i could get rid of it with out full id etc was to give it to them!

I don't see what the hassle is with getting a waste licence. You may not agree with it but is it really worth the risk of getting fined for £50 a year? 1 decent scrap run will pay for it anyway.

I think with scrap not being able to be paid cash as of monday, the government will then have an easy trail of who is weighing in and no doubt check up on waste carriers licenses. They know how to squeeze every penny out of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to scrap copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock