Search the forum,

Discuss scrap copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine so too.

Oh this year you started weighing in scrap, have you done so in previous years?.....No, honestly never been near a scrap yard!

I think with scrap not being able to be paid cash as of monday, the government will then have an easy trail of who is weighing in and no doubt check up on waste carriers licenses. They know how to squeeze every penny out of us![/QUOTE]

Yeah with duck pond's and houses "they" live in and also rent out ect Even Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.....

been to scrap yard today, nothing asked apart from name and where you live........ cash, done.

btw im Barry from up north. :)

I see a solution to both this and the minimum alcohol price, load van, take ferry to France / Ireland, weigh in scrap, load van with booze, return and feel smug.

What a crock the 'new laws' are. Just seen a bit on the news this morning and as of today 'you will be paid by cheque UNLESS you are of no fixed abode'. Really clamped down there on the people they need to.

Thats what i thought the people they need to clamp down on 'pikeys' still given licence to steal scrap metal !!

They will have a 'Builders Bum' tax next - £250 to display your crack to the general public!

You can get free tickets from the council to take your van onto domestic tips if you live locally. You have to send proof of this and I got 10 tickets to use over a year . . . .

Not too bad!

What a crock the 'new laws' are. Just seen a bit on the news this morning and as of today 'you will be paid by cheque UNLESS you are of no fixed abode'. Really clamped down there on the people they need to.

I have therefore just deleted Adobe of my lappy............:24:

email from scrappy:
Good Morning,

The new law that comes in to force today is the actual payment for Scrap Metal.

As from today all Scrap Yards across the UK are forbidden to pay cash for any scrap metal, we here at ASM can pay you a cheque as well as
put the money onto your debit card.

Hope this helps

This thread's brought back some memories of when I was serving my time. Me and the other lads would get the job of running the van up the scrappy to weigh in the Christmas bonus, we'd try all the old tricks like filling pipes with sand and flattening the ends, jump in the van while it was on the weighing bridge while Steptoe disappeared round the corner to check the scales or see what names we could sign and get away with. Bill Shankly, Fred Flintstone, Donald Duck..... I tried Mickey Mouse and almost got slapped.

Yeah, we thought we were tricking them but now I look back and realise Steptoe was well ahead of us; "It's okay lads, leave it on the van while it's on the weighbridge - I know the weight of the Renault Trafic so I'll just knock that off."

My god, we were muppets.

End of an era......... never again will I leave a scrappie with a fist full of dirty twentys and stuff them in my back pocket. :disappointed:

Next time i go to the scrap yd im going top tell them im a rag and bone man and no fixed address and see what they say or if anyone does this before me, let all on here know.

End of an era......... never again will I leave a scrappie with a fist full of dirty twentys and stuff them in my back pocket. :disappointed:
And you'll never see that look on the bar maid's face again that says - that's a fiver? I've picked up less minging snotty hankies.

This is most depressing. I have a nice stockpile of copper and lead that I was planning to take in next week for Christmas drinks. Gutted.

I'l just get my dad to go anyway, they'll give him a personal cheque and I'll get the readys off him or am I missing something?

I'l just get my dad to go anyway, they'll give him a personal cheque and I'll get the readys off him or am I missing something?

Yes a good idea as my dad has offered too but they might still have tax liability with pensions other income etc.

from inland revenue:
Mistakes are often made when recording sales if:

• you take stock for personal or family consumption
  • you supply goods or services to someone else in return for goods or services - barter transactions
Even if you don't record these transactions through a till you still need to keep a record of them. You should note down the goods or services taken or supplied and their normal retail price, and your business profits must be worked out using this value.

So we can not take the copper out of the business without it being sold to ourselves and we cant bartor in anyway for it "I swapped the copper with my wife for a snog" doesnt count as you have to pay for the snog!!!

So were we allowed to do it before, answer NO. are we now being policed, YES.

I am so confused though "no fixed abode" = pikey that has just stolen that lead off a church roof

if you think we have got it bad, take a look at what the scrappies now have to do,

license to take scrap, license to get rid of scrap, keep records of dealings, police have right to enter and inspect property, buying scrap for cash is now an offence, display license, verify suppliers identity, if unlicensed they will be shut down.

So why is it the wrong people being punished for these pikees causing trouble.

on the news they did say, "there is loop holes that need addressing and will be addressed in next few months"

Once again the beurocrats have shafted us. I guess we should all jack in the plumbing game and join the likes of Starbucks, Amazon and google who get away with paying nothing into our system for years.

I guess the next time I call at my accountants I will have a choice of going through the green or red door. Anything to declare sir? Yes, one copper cylinder and a heat exchanger... :hand:

Next thing will be the scrappie having to deduct VAT from the funds we receive. Rant Over!

how do you think the scrappies would do if we all didnt go in for a year?

what will be the charge to have the money paid into your account? i can also see it being taxed soon, just another sly way of pretending to protect the thieves from stealing church lead with a convenient spin off to tax the honest working man.

basically the new law does not apply to gypsies!!!

why they cant take vehicle reg's number is a breach of human rights so a counselor tells me!!!!!

i am going to stock pile it and take it every 2 years and get a holiday out of it, well my 19 year old student daughter is going too.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right saying that now is not the best time to weigh in though as prices will alter in the scrappies favour the nearer to xmas it get's and what is the chances they will actually follow the audit trail from the scrappy to your books. I bet if you put a little through and get some in "her indoors's" name you'd still be able to pull the wool over the tax mans eyes UNLESS you are a massive operation ie Pimlico Plumbers.....

i know Red Scar at Preston told me he'd still be paying cash but they do record transactions ect in a proffesional way.....

how do you think the scrappies would do if we all didnt go in for a year?

Theyd be doing the same amount of business as some little so and so of a traveling nature would be raiding mine and your garage and flogging it.

oh dear, I did not realise and have just taken my scrap to the scrappy. He took my driving license which he did last time but then got me to sign a piece of paper. Which I did not check till just now. which says 'i declare i have the authority to sell''. Bummer. Surely he should have asked me if I have a License?

Anyone know of any solutions to this yet? I guess as I was not caught carrying it, I could just say it was from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to scrap copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock