Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss sealing shower tiles in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. jimplumb

jimplumb New Member

just tiled wet room tray/former with very small mosaic tiles, will i need to apply a sealer before use? my concern is the grouting, used mapei flexible.

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If they are porcelain or ceramic you will be ok with flex grout, I hope they are not Travertine , they definitely have to be sealed prior to grouting .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Hi Jim,
    The Stone tile or tile with a porous surface needs to be sealed before grouting otherwise the grout bonds to the stone and sticks and is hard to get it off.
    Id better Seal after it is installed. The grout lines are really what needs to be sealed the most that's my opinion.

Basically you will need to seal for the stone ones twice before and after.

4. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

What type/ make of try former is it?
    If it's a natural stone, slate or travatine mosaic, if needs sealing before grouting and again after. If it's a porcelain, or glass mosaic, it won't. But I find sealing the grout helps with keeping the grout lines clean.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jimplumb

jimplumb New Member

6. jimplumb

jimplumb New Member

Hello everyone, thanks for the advice.
    The tray former is Abacus Elements and the mosaics are about 15mm square glass and porcelain so a lot of grout just thought sealing would give more protection, any advice on sealer appreciated.

7. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Abacus trays have a minimum of 50mm tiles, to prevent point loading
    They can compress into the tray former

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jimplumb

jimplumb New Member

oops too late now they are already in and grouted.