Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary heat exchanger - flow/return temperatures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I'm a Gas Engineer, and new to fault diagnosis/repairs. I've measured the temperature on the flow/return pipes across my combi's secondary heat exchanger, with the hot bath tap on full. I have a Vaillant Ecomax 24 (year 2003). The flow was 70c, the return was 43.8c. I'd be interested to know what a good temperature is on the return pipe. No doubt I'll come across a few blocked heat exchangers in my future work. I presume if the return is too hot, that shows the heat transfer to the mains water hasn't taken place - hence a blocked heat exchanger. So ideally, the return temp should be as low as possible. Am I on the right track? Thanks for your advice, Jennie.

Temp. on return will never be lower than the water it's heating.Larger the difference in flow and return greater the heat transfer.

Hi all,

I'm a Gas Engineer, and new to fault diagnosis/repairs. I've measured the temperature on the flow/return pipes across my combi's secondary heat exchanger, with the hot bath tap on full. I have a Vaillant Ecomax 24 (year 2003). The flow was 70c, the return was 43.8c. I'd be interested to know what a good temperature is on the return pipe. No doubt I'll come across a few blocked heat exchangers in my future work. I presume if the return is too hot, that shows the heat transfer to the mains water hasn't taken place - hence a blocked heat exchanger. So ideally, the return temp should be as low as possible. Am I on the right track? Thanks for your advice, Jennie.

There are a few if's and but's there Jennie.

There will be differences on the primary return temp ( from PHE) dependant upon the flow rate through it on either primary or secondary side of it. This is because it's all about heat transfer as you know.

For example, if you had a high flow rate through the secondary side of the Plate Heat Exchanger, of water at 5 degrees C, you would see a difference between the primary return from PHE than the temperature that a low flow rate of water at say 15 degrees C might give you.
However the boiler would/should modulate to suit so the F+R Temp diff would most likely alter in line with it. To what degree is down to a few different variables.

There are also differences in the size ( internal surface area ) of heat exchangers and this too will give slightly different transfer rates on different boilers.

If the Primary side was partially blocked, you would normally find that the heat from the primary side is lost more into the secondary due to the restriction on flow through the primary side. So I would expect to see a very low temperature on that return in that case.

( due to the flow being so slow, the primary water has lost all its heat to the secondary).

It will only drop as Joni os said to a level above the secondary temperature.

I apologise in advance if you've had to read through this a few times. I hope it answers your question.

Hi all,

There are a few if's and but's there Jennie.

There will be differences on the primary return temp ( from PHE) dependant upon the flow rate through it on either primary or secondary side of it. This is because it's all about heat transfer as you know.

For example, if you had a high flow rate through the secondary side of the Plate Heat Exchanger, of water at 5 degrees C, you would see a difference between the primary return from PHE than the temperature that a low flow rate of water at say 15 degrees C might give you.
However the boiler would/should modulate to suit so the F+R Temp diff would most likely alter in line with it. To what degree is down to a few different variables.

There are also differences in the size ( internal surface area ) of heat exchangers and this too will give slightly different transfer rates on different boilers.

If the Primary side was partially blocked, you would normally find that the heat from the primary side is lost more into the secondary due to the restriction on flow through the primary side. So I would expect to see a very low temperature on that return in that case.

( due to the flow being so slow, the primary water has lost all its heat to the secondary).

It will only drop as Joni os said to a level above the secondary temperature.

I apologise in advance if you've had to read through this a few times. I hope it answers your question.

Hi all,
Thanks for all your replies.
I've got more info on it, from Valiant technical support. My boiler should achieve roughly a 20c difference between the flow and returns through the secondary heat exchanger. If the temperature difference becomes too great, possibly there'd be a circulation and issue/blockage and eventually the boiler will issue a fault code and cut out.
I'm supposing that for accurate diagnosis, if the heat exchanger is blocked, the heat can't pass through it, so the return temperature will be very low. And the CH water may be filthy. Is it that simple?
I know of someone who had a new secondary heat exchanger fitted. But the system water wasn't cleaned, nor was a magnetic filter fitted. Six months later, her new heat exchanger is playing up.
Thanks again for all your advice,
Jennie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Secondary heat exchanger - flow/return temperatures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return temperature to the boiler are less than 55 degrees to ensure condensing is occurring. But in the service menu it only shows the primary heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate tank. There is a thermostat on this second tank that pushes hot water over to the store tank when it's hot. It's a closed loop and goes through a heat...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock