Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss secondary return for small 15L heater? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Staffy85

Staffy85 Member

Hi guys , planning a job which is comming up shortly , basically need to supply hot water for 3 basins , 2 of which are far enough away that i would say need a secondary return , i have picked out a 15L unvented water heater by hyco {sf15K} , which would do the job nicely but ideally need a secondary return , spoke to them about and they said "we cant see any problems with doing it but if you do we take no responsibitlity for it", ..anyone have any thoughts on this ? , in theory it should be fine teeing into the cold feed to create the loop.. thanks ..

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Be cheaper to fit 2 heaters, but can't say I've ever fitted a src to an undersink water heater

3. Jay The Plumber

Jay The Plumber Active Member

ive fitted loads of them heaters and by the time youve fitted a secondary pump and run all the extra piping / valves etc it must be cheaper to fit more boilers?

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Add electrical trace heating taped to the copper pipework lag up pipework that will keep the tempreture up so no dead leg and hotwater at all taps cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Staffy85

Staffy85 Member

cheers for the replys , yea cant really fit another unvented heater at the other end because theres no where for the discharge to go at that end , also the taps have to be pretty good looking and i havent seen any decent taps that allow venting with the other style of under sink heater , will look into electrical trace heating , but costs aside secondary return would work on these? would also have to up the size of the expansion vessel to suit... thanks

6. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Not ideal , but should work ok.
    Make sure the hot and return are well insulated.

7. ShaunCorbs

so they dont have drainage for the basins ?

and you dont have to use drip drip taps

8. Staffy85

Staffy85 Member

drainage is via saniflo in that section , the 2 extra basins im putting in is totally retrofit, i dont know much about whats out there inregards to taps , im only going by what i see in the hyco brochure for them ,

9. ShaunCorbs

Are you G3 registered?

10. Staffy85

Staffy85 Member

no im not .

11. ShaunCorbs

Sorry to say then you can't fit an unvented water heater even below 15l

12. Staffy85

Staffy85 Member

not a problem budd, iv been in that situation before , for some to come along and connect it up is fine,