Search the forum,

Discuss secondary return on hot water. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi plumbers/engineers...Lowly electrician here :biggrin: I've built a new extension on the back of the house and also linked the barn/workshop to the house. I'm converting the old workshop to habitable space at the same time as fitting out the extension. At the back of the old workshop I've sectioned off a bit for a plant room which is going to house the boiler, unvented cylinder etc. The run to most of the taps is a fair distance from the cylinder so I'm thinking off installing a hot water return (I'm doing the pipework and my pal who has his G3 cert and is GS registered will be installing/commissioning the cylinder and installing/comissioning boiler).
Is It really worth doing? I suppose I should heavily insulate the hot water pipe work so the losses are marginal as other wise the return water will dilute the cylinder and kick the boiler in more often. I appreciate any advice and any other ideas that I should be considering as I have the house ripped apart at the mo and the extension etc is just a bare shell. Thanks Lee

Yep you will need to lag both the hot and hot return, depending on distance and what its feeding then 15mm copper should be fine.

It is a requirement of both the Building & Water Regulations, so I would.

Surely your G3 / GSR mate will be able to tell you all about what he & you are going to require?

Just like like you sparks Lee, he will be responsible for it as he is the one carrying out the commissioning and signing it off !!!

It is a requirement of both the Building & Water Regulations, so I would.

Surely your G3 / GSR mate will be able to tell you all about what he & you are going to require?

Just like like you sparks Lee, he will be responsible for it as he is the one carrying out the commissioning and signing it off !!!

Yeah of course he will but nothing wrong with asking others opinions is there.

Just don't do it in plastic.

Plastic pipe manufacturers have stated that their product is not suitable for secondary returns.

And if you use a smart pump like a Grundfos Magna, it'll build up its own internal database from periodic usage and temperature. Saves on timeclocks and motion detectors and so on. Keep it simple, Lee.

Just don't do it in plastic.

Plastic pipe manufacturers have stated that their product is not suitable for secondary returns.

And if you use a smart pump like a Grundfos Magna, it'll build up its own internal database from periodic usage and temperature. Saves on timeclocks and motion detectors and so on. Keep it simple, Lee.

Have they changed the name of the domestic circulators ? Magna where more the commercial range.

What happened to the Grundfos Comfort auto-adapt?

I think there are a couple on here who are commercial guys croppie they might be able to confirm. :smiley2:

Chris, you are right with the comfort, I think it also auto adapts like the magna, the magna are circulatory only, I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to secondary return on hot water. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock