Search the forum,

Discuss Separate mains water connection query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have a question, I want my flat to be separately connected to the mains water supply for water coming into my kitchen and bathroom instead of sharing the same pipework as my neighbours. Is this doable and if so is it the water board who will carry this out or a plumber?

My flat has shared pipes with my neighbours below me for both the kitchen and bathroom but I prefer a separate supply, how difficult is it to connect to separately to the mains water and what does the job entail?

Any information or guestimates would be appreciated thanks.

You will need a new service from the water board also you will need a pipe from the boundary to inside and then upto your property estimated around 20-30k

You'll also need the permission of the freeholder / management company. Another nasty surprise for the flat-owner who needs to interrupt the supply to other flats is that they usually have to foot the bill for an independent plumber to visit each flat before and after the interruption to ensure that no damage (leaks, airlocks, sediment, etc.) or other nuisance has been caused by their work.

(This is to provide cover against "You interrupted the water supply and now my shower / washing machine / toilet doesn't work" complaints.)

Hi and thank you for the advice but I may have solved the mystery to why I was seeking advice on my own separate water supply to my flat.
A few months ago everyone except my property was disconnected from the water tanks in the attic but my bathroom water supply was always on the mains water feed where as the rest of the flats were connected to the water tanks and there are 2 flats below me.
The factor decided to disconnect the rest of the flats and now everyone is on mains for the bathroom and kitchen.

Ever since they did work (I won't name and shame the company) but I started to get very sore skin, skin from my hands, face, started to peel till it was pink and burn sometimes it was seeping with fluid as I was itching so much. I thought I had developed psoriasis or had a become allergic to something and the GP was puzzled too. I honestly didn't want to get up out from bed because I couldn't hide it, skin layers peeled and patchy circles appeared. It all started when work was done in the attic and I decided to call out a professional and assess what work was carried out and would really appreciate your help/advice on this.

The expert with over 30 years experience checked everything and saw that my mains water pipe had not been touched (it is still an old 15mm pipe) however the rest of the neighbours all got new separate copper pipe work (22mm) with PRV's fitted.
But then he looked at my property's pipe from another side and saw that a part of the pipe which feeds the cold water feed to my bathroom had been cut off and joined with a pipe tee to my ground floor neighbours bathroom water supply. There are no check valves, PRV or NRV, the company saw that my property was already connected to the mains supply and rather than doing a proper legit job, cut my pipe and joined it together with my neighbours and charged me a fortune for it. Now I understand why my bathroom supply started to have water flow and temperature fluctuations and the pipe work whistles when my neighbour uses their bathroom supply.

Therefore I suspect that is the reason my skin has been suffering ( I spent a few days in my friends home and guess what my skin cleared) and I would like to know can cross contamination or fluid risks happen because of this and what the problems can be caused by cutting my property pipe and sticking my neighbours onto it.

I am so glad I called someone to check it out and at the same time so angry that this happened. I would appreciate your advice because I want this issue resolved and will tell them to fix my properties pipe to what it originally was and never touch it again as I am a owner where as the rest of the neighbours are social tenants. Is it doable to tell them to provide another pipe water supply for the other neighbour and to restore the work on my pipe to what it was originally. I had no issues with my bathroom supply or skin until they decided to do a bad job.

Thank you so much and I would be happy to hear any advice on what I can do about this.

Last edited:
Send a water sample out of the sink taps and the kitchen taps to a lab

You sure it’s not air quality/ issue ?

You won't own the freehold on the supply. As long as they are providing you with wholesome potable water which meets the regulations you're SOL.

Your next steps are to get the water tested and a plumber to give you a written report of the installation listing your concerns and for you to take that to the freeholder or management company and argue the toss with them.

Just because you own your flat doesn't make you any more entitled than the others.

Thank you for the replies. The issue is that my mains fed water pipe which is for my bathroom had been cut and teed onto my neighbours pipe but she has a gravity water supply in her bathroom, would this pose as an issue because they are both different feeds but joined onto one pipe, thanks.

Reply to Separate mains water connection query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock