Search the forum,

Discuss Should i go for an Unvented Hot water cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am about to have an old asbestos water tank replaced in the loft and also have a new shower pump fitted, however it occurred to me if i switched to an unvented cyclinder i wouldnt actually need either of these.

Ive seen them in screw fix for about £550 which seems reasonable. I obviously wouldn't fit it myself so wanted to know how big a job is it to fit an unvented cyclinder - is it just a like for like pipe replacement in the airing cupboard or is there more to it? Are there any disadvantages over a conventional vented system I should be aware of?

Cheers

Marc

it all depends on your water supply if it is only 15mm to the tanks it may need upsizing to an unvented you need a a certified installer to fit one also he can survey and advise

You need a minimum flow and pressure and this needs to get to the point of the cylinder install. Also you need to get safety pipework to an outside termination. Best bet is to get a G3 qualified engineer in to do the necessary tests

Hi
Get a G3 registered plumber to come round.
He can measure the water pressure and flow rate and see if fitting one is suitable. Also will need checking for a route to get the safety vent to a suitable outside location.
It's worth getting installed, as it's much better than a noisy shower pump and gives the opportunity to remove the dirty header tanks in the loft.

Hi
Get a G3 registered plumber to come round.
He can measure the water pressure and flow rate and see if fitting one is suitable. Also will need checking for a route to get the safety vent to a suitable outside location.
It's worth getting installed, as it's much better than a noisy shower pump and gives the opportunity to remove the dirty header tanks in the loft.

If you have a gas boiler it will make more sense in most cases to get rid of any cylinders and tanks and fit a combi.
If not you can usually fit unvented right where open vented cylinder was, most manufacturers specify 20 litre per minute mains but unless you are planning on running two showers at once you can get away with less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should i go for an Unvented Hot water cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder is located directly above the ceiling of a new and expensive kitchen. It does not leak and causes no obvious problems. Should it be replaced? Advice...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock