Search the forum,

Discuss shower in winter on combi boiler - is it ok to restrict water flow & get hotter water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrs Tara Plumbi

As per title can anyone tell me the answer?

Mr TP (otherwise known as he who is never here) has told me that it is not good to restrict water flow on combis in this way.

But i am not clear on this - is it about how much water is restricted or about the length of time?

The combisave restricts water flow - for a very short time - so perhaps that doesn't matter.

I skimmed through this very complicated document a long time ago and i think it said all depending on the boiler it would be a very bad idea to restrict below 3 LPM - i guess I would still have a shower greater than 3 lpm.

: http://www.elementalsolutions.co.uk/downloads/combis and low flows.pdf "Combination Boilers and Low Flow Fittings." © Nick Grant; Elemental Solutions 2007.

(must add - because some of you guys are so sensitive - I meant I find this document difficult, I know many of you are trained in this and deal with this sort of info every day...)

But i have often wondered if you can imagine a woman like me standing naked in the shower, covered in soap

- in the winter do I still have to turn the shower on full and shower in tepid water?

To be fair - as i often tell people i have a Remeha i should tell you that this is not a problem but i have had this experience from other combis in the pat and you all know it is a common problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: shower in winter on combi boiler - is it ok to restrict water flow & get hotter w

I now have a picture of naked soapy Mrs TP.........Thanks for that. :cheesy:

To my mind why reduce the flow to the boiler?
If you reduce the flow too much you wont make the flow switch and the boiler wouldn't fire.
The boilers are self modulating meaning the burner is linked to the flow temperature.

I would of thought it would have been better to just not turn the taps on as much?

You should only ever have a problem if you have a very long pipe run and its in the depths of winter (so incoming mains is really cold).
Try lagging all of the hot pipework.

Re: shower in winter on combi boiler - is it ok to restrict water flow & get hotter w

Hi Tara, nice thought about a seeing a naked woman in the shower covered in soap, also good to see you have an excellent boiler.

From what i would say is the slower the water is passing through the heat exchanger or the bigger the heat exchanger the hotter the water will be, all boilers would have a minimum flow rate to prevent damage to the secondary heat exchanger, or to prevent the main heat exchanger over heating and turning off.........if you compare it to the fault you would get when the secondary becomes partially blocked it would have the same effect boiler cycling on/off.

I always recommend the the largest heat output combi's for exactly that reason.

Chances are that be restricting the flow to much the flow sensor may not activate anyway.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to shower in winter on combi boiler - is it ok to restrict water flow & get hotter water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Seems strange and I may be reading the MI wrong but i dont understand how the return pipe seems to be hotter than the flow. I have a Vailant EcoTec 438 conventional condensing boiler. Here's a photo of the install. You can see the plumber put a Magnaclean on what i thought is the return flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a combi boiler for hot water and heating but have 2 showers in the house. Obviously low water pressure if both showers are used at same time. I'm wondering if I could install a water tank to gravity feed one of the showers, with new electrric shower and if so how to stop the water...
Replies
Views
Hi I moved into a property where the pressure is slightly low and they have this super duper shower but pressure is somewhat lacking. I have had water company out and they did do a check and they found the flow rate reduced but they mentioned about the inside stopcock/tap should be changed just...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock