Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Simple question? Maybe in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bogart

Bogart Member

Hope is a simple question. The merits, or not, of deciding which is best as isolation valves for a pair of taps, gate valves , stopcocks or 90degree ballvalves, if any?

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

gate valves no good if high pressure and they seize up. stop cock no good for hot water, full flow service valves leaver type best option

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above , never put gate valves on mains.
    If buying lever arms go for WRAS approved.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Nothing but full bore for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Full bore ISO valves (the same type that use lever valve internals)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Full bore ball valves with butterfly head or lever if you have the space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bogart

Bogart Member

Gone for a pair of these by Peglar. ae235.jpg
    Much more expensive than some alternatives but hopefully will work when needed to.

• Like Like x 2
  8. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Most people hate gate valves because most people buy and install rubbish gate valves. Any valve you suggested will work but for how long is down to the quality of the valve its self

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bogart

Bogart Member

My place is littered with gate valves half of which will not budge, well maintained by previous occupants! I always thought gate valves were the solution to any isolation problem but reading previous comments appears to be not so.

10. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

They seize, get stuck and eventually snap

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

No real plumber likes or trusts gate valves. The modern lever valves or full flow isolating valves are a major advance in plumbing valves for quality and reliability, and at a similar price to cheap gate valves.
    On pipes to a sink unit, the slotted screw type full flow iso valves are more than good enough for reliable turn off valves for servicing or replacing taps or removing sinks.
    No need to use lever valves if not in regular use, but still very handy

12. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Modern 1/4 turn lever valves? its only the wet environment where that plumbers uses are current period, because they think its modern to them. What about the concord with a 1/4 turn gas valve. also the supplier of gas using the same 1/4 turn for all these decades . The regulation (I,m talking WRAS) has everything to explain itself .
    Rant Over

• Like Like x 1
  13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I know 1/4 turn lever valves have been around a long time, but really only the last 20 years they have become increasingly popular with water plumbing.