Search the forum,

Discuss Sink swivel mixer tap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have a swivel mono mixer tap on the sink which is leaking around the neck and I am wanting to have this replaced as it is over 10 years old.

As a pensioner I am looking for something that will be very reliable over the long term and easy to turn on and off (the current one has has old tap style type fittings for hot and cold taps which are harder to turn so was considering something different).

I have been looking at different ones on the internet that are quarter turn levers and reading the reviews, but this has left me concerned as they have lots of good reviews but the bad ones mention that the new fitted units actually drip when fitted from new or after several months, ideally I would like one that would outlive me.

Is leaky from new or after several months something that is generally found in practice or am I being put off by the negative reviews?

What would be the typical cost for a plumber to supply and fit a good quality unit?

Thanks
Colin

I personally recommend ..... Franke Athena Monobloc Mixer Tap Chrome - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/franke-athena-monobloc-mixer-tap-chrome/1463p + sixty pounds or more for plumber to fit.

Hi

Many thanks for the reply.

This has lots of reviews so I looked at the bad reviews of it (the source of my confusion)

"tap failed after only 5 months and when tap was on blew up. Avoid, poor quality"
"This tap lasted less than 6 years. I thought that was a very poor sign of product quality, that metal could wear out before the rubber O-Rings."
"Franke tap replaced after a few years due to a faulty design. The replacement tap is also faulty and dripping"

all taps I looked at have bad reviews (even some of the expensive ones) and hence why I would like to get ones that have been installed and work in real life experiences.

The current, no brand, design has lasted for more than 10 years and I would like the replacement to do so. Some of the more expensive ones have good reviews but typically only 10 reviews rather than 70-100+ so not sure how applicable the reviews are.

Any consensus would be appreciated.

Just buy a tap from a reputable supplier / merchant
The taps they supply, they generally keep spare parts for - and for a few years after they sell them

As for online reviews, I do sometimes look at them for some items, but I take a great deal of the reviews with a grain of salt.
In your case, why would 100+ people review a kitchen tap?

Maybe I'm getting old - kitchen tap works great - I'm content.
I don't need to tell the world about it - unless I am remunerated for my review.

Reply to Sink swivel mixer tap in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock