Search the forum,

Discuss Slight pressure drop. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I have a boiler which is approx ten years old. A few months ago we had the expansion vessel replaced by a BG plan but noticed that there was a slight pressure drop since they fitted it. The copper pipe outside had an odd drip here and there. On top of that I had to have a valve on one of the rads replaced as this was leaking. The whole system was dropped so this could take place. No leaks anywhere else around the rest of the rads. Since the system was dropped the PRV no longer leaks but I'm still getting a slight drop in pressure probably 0.1bar over a month. I noticed that when the weather was warmer the pressure more or less has stayed the same but since the cold snap ie minus temp the pressure has dropped slightly by just less than 0.1bar. Hardly owt. My question is is can pressure on a boiler fluctuate when there has been no heating on for a day ie system is cold. So the colder the pipes get can this alter the pressure on the Guage slightly? Only other thing to add is when the pressure is set at 1.3 and the heating is on the pressure goes to approx 2.6 / 2.7 but doesn't go over three and looks like nothing is being dumped out of the copper pipe outside.

Last edited:
There are 11 rads in the property and the expansion vessel that BG changed was just a straight swap with the old one. The eleven rads include two towel rads, a small rad in the downstairs loo, one in the hallway, two in the kitchen diner, one in the living room and then just three in the bedrooms. Size wise...I'm struggling with. I know that the kitchen and the living room ones are doubles if you understand non diyers like me

"Only other thing to add is when the pressure is set at 1.3 and the heating is on the pressure goes to approx 2.6 / 2.7 but doesn't go over three and looks like nothing is being dumped out of the copper pipe outside."

2.7/2.8 bar should be the max, 3bar is too much as the PRV will/should lift at that pressure and thats why it doesn't go over 3.
Was this a external E.vessel?, if internal what is the make/output of your boiler?.
Even a 8L E.vessel with precgarge & filling pressures of 1.0/1.3should deal with 100 Litres of system water without exceeding 2.12bar and 144 litres withoutbar exceeding 2.7bar, doubt if your system is larger than 100/120 Litres at most.

"Only other thing to add is when the pressure is set at 1.3 and the heating is on the pressure goes to approx 2.6 / 2.7 but doesn't go over three and looks like nothing is being dumped out of the copper pipe outside."

2.7/2.8 bar should be the max, 3bar is too much as the PRV will/should lift at that pressure and thats why it doesn't go over 3.
Was this a external E.vessel?, if internal what is the make/output of your boiler?.
Even a 8L E.vessel with precgarge & filling pressures of 1.0/1.3should deal with 100 Litres of system water without exceeding 2.12bar and 144 litres withoutbar exceeding 2.7bar, doubt if your system is larger than 100/120 Litres at most.
The boiler is a baxi 35c exclusive. Reading the manual it says its fitted as standard an eight litre EV

As long as the pressure doesn't exceed 2.7/2.8 bar then OK but if its hitting 3.0bar then BG should recheck the precharge and filling pressures and if OK then possibly requires a external E.vessel.
Any idea what the max pressure was previously?

There shouldn't be as much as a drop of water from the PRV, if they do return get them to renew taht as well.

As long as the pressure doesn't exceed 2.7/2.8 bar then OK but if its hitting 3.0bar then BG should recheck the precharge and filling pressures and if OK then possibly requires a external E.vessel.
Any idea what the max pressure was previously?

There shouldn't be as much as a drop of water from the PRV, if they do return get them to renew taht as well.
It's only ever hit over 3 bar a few years ago. The reason why BG had to fit a new EV was due to them damaging the original one when all they were doing was replacing Schrader valve. Once they fitted it the PVR started to leak a little into the copper pipe. That stopped ish when another plumber replaced a valve on the rad cos they had to drain the whole system. From my original post can the pressure drop a tiny bit ie 0.1 bar due to the pipes in the house being colder than normal temperatures with the recent freeze on temps. I'm getting obsessed with looking to see what the pressure is reading on these boilers. I've noticed the Guage reading just below 1.4b and then the next morning when the temp been in the minuses outside it can drop to 1.3b.

The drop in pressure can be accounted for if the whole system contents temperature fell by ~ 7C from the night reading. But of course if you read the pressure when the boiler shuts down overnight it might be say 2.2bar and when the contents cool overnight the pressure may be down to 1.3bar depending on system temperature.
IF the system temperature fell to exactly the same temperature when BG filled the system to 1.3bar then barring no leaks, it will fall to exactly 1.3bar.

Reply to Slight pressure drop. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock