Search the forum,

Discuss Smart meter engineer to fully gas safe registered/CCN1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harry4rams

Hi

I am thinking of taking a course in smart metering and becoming an installer. I want to know how easy it would then be to become fully gas safe registered and become a full gas engineer and gain the CCN1 qualification?

Thanks
Harry

Hello and welcome, what qualifications do you have?

Hello and welcome, what qualifications do you have?

Hi Steven

At the minute I have no gas qualifications but this course will give me CMA1 and MET1. I just want to know what it would take, a after a few years experience fitting gas smart meters, to progress to being a full gas engineer?

Thanks

Fitting smart meters is not going to give you any experience on other gas related work, all you can do is fit meters, you can-not touch any other gas appliances or pipe work, to get to being a qualified gas engineer takes a lot of hard work & dedication its not something that can-not be done on a one day course, don't even see the point of you doing CMA1 all you need is a Manometer to test for leaks after you have exchanged the meter, unless they want a print out of what you have done.

When I last did my ACS, 3years, ago I remember them saying the short cut allowing MET1 to get fully registered more easily has been stopped.

It's full training or nothing.

This centre where I would be doing this course is saying that I would be able to take the exams to become ACS registered. I will be a category 1 applicant because I have already been on the register from the MET1 work. Is this true? I understand that I would need to shadow another gas engineer to learn and become competent but is it true I could gain the CCN1 qualification that easily?

Thanks

cat1 entry requires an nvq and gas portfolio!

has anyone took money from you and whats the centre?

cat1 entry requires an nvq and gas portfolio!

has anyone took money from you and whats the centre?

so what you are saying is after the smart meter installation has finished I will have to retrain as a full gas engineer via an NVQ?
No I haven't paid for the course yet

Thanks

If you can satisfy an assessment center that you have Knowledge of some gas work. ie. qualifications & experience etc. you may qualify for cat 1 entry.
This is then straight into ACS training & assessment.

Thanks Graham

So if I was to become a smart meter engineer and do that job Monday to Friday and gain some Saturday experience with a local GSR engineer I could theoretically take the CCN1 examinations without having to do a portfolio?

Thanks again

You would still need a portfolio of CCN1-relevant work (appliance installation, servicing, breakdowns etc).

You would also need a certain amount of off-job training (classroom, workshop). This does not need to be an NVQ; there are several equivalent foundation-level certificates that will allow you entry to full-scope ACS.

Without these you would not be accepted for CCN1 assessment at any reputable assessment centre, and you probably wouldn't have a hope of passing a correctly-delivered assessment. For example, you'd need to have considerable knowledge of appliances and their safety controls and chimneys / flues.

My advice would be to forget about "shortcuts", and change your whole mindset to a more professional attitude.

Is there not lots of work changing meters fault they were desperate for people.
There are plenty of cowboys doing it thats for sure. I think suppliers are scared stiff of employing new starters. Threy want experienced people but the trouble is, most of them have jobs already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smart meter engineer to fully gas safe registered/CCN1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi guys, any meter installers about? im looking to complete a course to get CCN1 qualified and met1 qualified so I can look at becoming a smart meter installer. once qualified all employers seem to want 6 -12 months experience as a meter fitter. How do you guys gain the first years...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered central heating installer about 15 years ago, so I felt comfortable running the flow/return to rads). I am in need of a combi boiler install with a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am having an on-going battle with my energy supplier trying to get a smart gas meter. I have a Landis &gyr installed which was a replacement for a faulty meter about 3 years ago. The installer at the time told me it was not a Smart meter. The energy company is insisting its a SMETS1 -...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock