Search the forum,

Discuss So fed up with ignorant customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a voicemail Xmas day. Fitted a boiler a boiler a month ago. Customer says that the radiators don't seen to be turning off.
she has trv's on all the rads and an off switch on the boiler! Does she really need to phone me Xmas day for that! It's probably a user error anyway. Fuming when I heared that.

next call Boxing Day, a leak on a magna clean we removed 3 months ago when doing a power flush. Cust says he has put a bowel under it and its a small weep but thinks I should come out Boxing Day anyway!

do people think that just because you are a plumber you don't have your own life and family and that they are more important all year round.

sick to death of customers that have no consideration for other people.

Some people are paranoid with water, Im forever having the office ring me in a panic "The customers on the phone, X was there yesterday and now there is a bad leak, your the nearest guy today go back".
9/10 it is a tiny dribble from a connection :censored:

Once got an irate call out from a doctor at 2.am demanding I come out and fix his blocked toilet. When I initially refused he got very irate and said that if it was the other way round and I was in need then he would come out at that time to me.
I was there within 10 minutes.

I threw 2 aspirins into the bowl then told him that if it was no better in the morning then he could call me back.

I'll get me coat.

Once got an irate call out from a doctor at 2.am demanding I come out and fix his blocked toilet. When I initially refused he got very irate and said that if it was the other way round and I was in need then he would come out at that time to me.

You turned down work at 2am? I'd have been there within 10 minutes just to pick up my £25 call out fee and £30 for the first hour. Gone home with my £55 and been content.

You turned down work at 2am? I'd have been there within 10 minutes just to pick up my £25 call out fee and £30 for the first hour. Gone home with my £55 and been content.

i hope thats sarcasm!
Or you need to put your prices up....

Earnings are lower than in Manchester in the south west ! and I wouldn't even answer the phone at that time for £55. let alone go out!! if you are charging that at night-time what are you charging in normal working Hrs say between 9am & 5pm ? at those prices you must be paying the customers.

Why how much would you charge? Remembering I live in Manchester where everyone is poor.

Whereabouts in manchester? Some high income areas....these are where you should advertise. Not for example in Levenshulme.

I cover low income areas and charge much more than that.

Whereabouts in manchester? Some high income areas....these are where you should advertise. Not for example in Levenshulme.

I cover low income areas and charge much more than that.

Anywhere that there is money, I know that probably is a bad attitude but where there is money I want to be there.

Does not matter what areas you work in you have to cover your costs and make a living ! Have you ever sat down and worked out what it costs per hr just to cover your outgoings, £25 call out at 2am you must be on drugs, wake up and smell the coffee, or you won't be in business very long.

Anywhere that there is money, I know that probably is a bad attitude but where there is money I want to be there.

Well if you are offering your services in the higher income areas of manchester then your prices need adjusting upwards.
That 55 for an hours work at 2am should be what you charge in working hours.

£200 would more than put off any future work, as they would strike a line though your ad.

going back to the original post, yes I agree neither problems were major and could have waited but our customers are (tongue very firmly in cheek) ....... always right !!!!!!, or so the saying goes.
Agree with it or not , it is probably the first rule in business.
Its a load of *ollocks we all know, but you have to think that way.

Just had a call. Kitchen mixer loose. Bit of water underneath. Not urgent but just want to know when I could make it as he appreciates its christmas. A good customer.

£200 would more than put off any future work, as they would strike a line though your ad.
anyone that doesn't appreciate you coming out at 2AM and is not willing to pay you for the service you provide isn't worth having as a customer.

I have master keys to a clients house and all his other properties.

ive had a few drunken phone calls in the past, asking to be picked up and/or let into his house!

that pays well, i think i earn more from doing that than the plumbing work!

ive had a few drunken phone calls in the past, asking to be picked up and/or let into his house!

Smart move. Doubt you have problen beibg paid either. Afterall you can always gi help your self. Nothing better than a customer who trusts you I more or less bend over backwards for my trusting customers.

Smart move. Doubt you have problen beibg paid either. Afterall you can always gi help your self. Nothing better than a customer who trusts you I more or less bend over backwards for my trusting customers.

Hes a local surgeon.
met him when he was digging a shard of metel out of my leg.

went back for a check up and he had a few issues with his unvented. Went along and sorted it and hey presto, both are valued customers!

Had a voicemail Xmas day. Fitted a boiler a boiler a month ago. Customer says that the radiators don't seen to be turning off.
she has trv's on all the rads and an off switch on the boiler! Does she really need to phone me Xmas day for that! It's probably a user error anyway. Fuming when I heared that.

next call Boxing Day, a leak on a magna clean we removed 3 months ago when doing a power flush. Cust says he has put a bowel under it and its a small weep but thinks I should come out Boxing Day anyway!

do people think that just because you are a plumber you don't have your own life and family and that they are more important all year round.

sick to death of customers that have no consideration for other people.

Reading this just made me feel loads better thought it was just me that attracted the tw@ts.

I also had two voice mails on Xmas day. One kn@b had ran out of gas and could relight the piloted on his brand new boiler !! And a tenants shower had stopped working. God helpme

Is one day a year to much to ask.

tell the customer you are on holiday in France and will not be back till in two days time. Inform them that if it is that urgent, you can send a friend round to sort it out but make them aware that the friend is likely to charge £x amount. Let the customer know that if they are prepared to wait, then you will sort it out for them on your return. All the above, EXCEPT IT IS A CUSTOMER YOU KNOW YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TO LOOSE.

I threw 2 aspirins into the bowl then told him that if it was no better in the morning then he could call me back.

I'll get me coat.

LOL
we need more jokes like this!!

(why don't the smileys work on my I-pad??)

I am not in UK now but the list of work booked during Christmas is growing each day , some of the work I had to pass to other plumbers .
I dont do midnight calls , thank you ! My phone goes on "don't disturb " mode from 8pm to 6am .
£25 for a call out seems to low , more of a £120 min just to make safe and go back next day to sort out if it was me going

I am not in UK now but the list of work booked during Christmas is growing each day , some of the work I had to pass to other plumbers .
I dont do midnight calls , thank you ! My phone goes on "don't disturb " mode from 8pm to 6am .
£25 for a call out seems to low , more of a £120 min just to make safe and go back next day to sort out if it was me going

Did you recommend me Stan??

If not, we'll have to have a fist fight when I see you next!!!!

Have a good New Year.

agree totally

just went to a customers house at an agreed time she let me in and theres already a plumber upstairs quoting her for the work

he looked at me and said "giz a min will ya" so i stormed out.
can understand customers getting quotes from elsewhere but booking the tradesmen to come all at same time?

Yep I've had this before five of us at the same time I did wonder what was going on with all the vans in the street custard said right your all here now who will give me the best price, I went straight for the door but more alarming is that not everyone did.

agree totally

just went to a customers house at an agreed time she let me in and theres already a plumber upstairs quoting her for the work

can understand customers getting quotes from elsewhere but booking the tradesmen to come all at same time?

agree totally

Detest that that when it happens.
Once went to a house an hour after being called for a shower quote. When I arrived there was already someone there fitting the shower! According to the "lady" I took too long to get there.
Also went to measure up a house for Central heating on a Thursday night. Arrived at agreed time and could hardly get in the door as the house was mobbed with other installers. The owner said that they wanted the job started the following morning and if it couldn't be done then, then just to leave. I left, along with about three others. Four people stayed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to So fed up with ignorant customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock