Search the forum,

Discuss Solar thermal Crossfitting leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning,
This fitting is leaking at panel side (Hewalex) as marked. It looks like roof flashing will block removal of fitting to replace seal. If it doesn't come out, does anybody know how long the temp probe is and if it might be easy to bend it to enable removal of fitting. If bending isn't an option and it was cut, is it likely the probe end will sit in the panel pipework to be retrieved or dissappear into panel?

Have tried contacting the manufacturer but answers haven't been helpful

Hopefully this will be easier than getting roofers to go on roof and alter the flashing which is what local solar thermal company have said we need to do.

crossfitting leak.jpg

Morning,
This fitting is leaking at panel side (Hewalex) as marked. It looks like roof flashing will block removal of fitting to replace seal. If it doesn't come out, does anybody know how long the temp probe is and if it might be easy to bend it to enable removal of fitting.

There are photos of various very similar looking kits on the Hewalex website. For example:

http://www.hewalex.eu/public/images/product/2.jpg
http://www.hewalex.eu/public/images/product/ZPKS (2)_20131210_025554.jpg

Thanks chuck. Yes I had found the panel diagram - not the blow up of the fitting though. It is still a bit vague. Have you worked with these before. if I get it out do you think I could fit an elbow in there to move whole assembly into roof space with probe in pipework just outside panel.

Thanks chuck. Yes I had found the panel diagram - not the blow up of the fitting though. It is still a bit vague. Have you worked with these before. if I get it out do you think I could fit an elbow in there to move whole assembly into roof space with probe in pipework just outside panel.

I've never had hands-on so I'm not sure, and the following is just speculation in my part, call it food for thought:

It looks to me as though the probe is the length it is so that it samples the temperature inside the collector. If so, it presumably uses this information to decide whether to circulate through the collector or not. Your proposed modification is going to change the sampling position so it is inside the roof space, which may well affect the performance of the controls adversely.

So, I wouldn't make any modification without either getting the manufacturer's blessing or at studying the system and its controls until I was sure I understood exactly how it was supposed to work.

The trouble with solar systems is that they are installed to save money, and as a result high-quality maintainable systems have a hard time competing. Before spending a lot of money rennovating the existing system run the numbers and see whether it would make more sense to replace the hot water panels with a photovoltaic system.

Slow leak at the moment so I won't be rushing to dismantle just now. Thanks for your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar thermal Crossfitting leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning, Does anybody know what happens to a solar thermal flat panels (a pair on south facing slate roof) that have been unused for at least 12 months possibly year before also. System has been switched of due to loss of pressure. How will last years heat wave conditions have effected the panel...
Replies
Views
Hello My solar thermal system appears to be leaking fluid (pics attached). Could anyone give me an indication of what the issue is likely to be and the potential cost to rectify? The system was installed in May 2021 and has a flat plate panel on the roof. It works very well generally and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water, so we have the main water tank in the airing cupboard, plus a small pressurised (I think) tank. The smaller one has been leaking for several years leaving rusty water on the outside & on towels in the cupboard. The system also keeps losing pressure...
Replies
Views
Hello, So I want to add a solar thermal system to my existing Worcester bosch greenstar but don't want to lose the functional benefits of the combi boiler. I'm proposing to install the solar collector on the side of the house in a position that will enable gravity flow to a 200litre tank just...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock