Search the forum,

Discuss solvent weld on brown underground pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 110 mm brown UG pipe stub coming up through sub floor concrete. Want to connect a shower waste via a strap boss just above the concrete so that the pipe can run in the insulation and under the top screed. Will be very inconvenient if joint leaks! But I have doubts as to whether you can successfully solvent weld to brown pipe as a trial of two old bit of brown pipe really didn't see to show any chemical bond the adhesive was just filling the gap not having softened the plastic as happens with airfix models. Mind you same occurred on a trial piece of 110mm grey plastic soil. I may be able to pull the brown stub out (it was wrapped in thin insulation) but what is the point if grey pipe does not solvent weld either?

Any one got experience of this?

I spoke to polypipe about there orange underground pipe, that is fine to glue on to. Call the pipe manufacturer if in any doubt.

Change to grey pipe. Use fresh solvent cement, and for joints that must be leak free, clean mating surfaces with acetone prior to applying adhesive. A small bottle of acetone from chemist is usually cheaper than trade size solvent cleaner for one off applications.

Thank you all. I have tried wiping the surface of the pipe with acetone - may clean it but it does not 'soften' the plastic as it would polystyrene (airfix) for example. The glue was only bought recently - the brand being Aquaflow from Toolstation. I've since looked over various manufacturers web-sites and it seems that the 110 pipes are all PVCu it is just the colour that is different. The glue states it is suitable for PVCu, ABS and PVC-C so it should be OK but I was expecting some evidence of a 'weld' whereby the surface of each component has been softened by the solvent which once evaporated leaves the two materials joined as one.

What make is the Boss ? if they are not sticking your doing something wrong , or there is something wrong with the glue your using, I take it you are using Solvent Cement or is it something in a tube, ?

Using the recommended glue (Aquaflow) as per last post. The pipe is by Osma and the fitting by polypipe. May not be as bad as I thought, a test piece glueing two bits of Osma pipe together did stick well and when pulled apart it was the glue line that failed in that there was some left on both pieces of plastic and the plastic had softened slightly so the solvents do what they should do. I suspect it may take much more than 24 hours for the true glue strength to develop as the solvent evaporates. But I must say that the glue has not worked quite as expected so for the sake of a ÂŁ5 tin I'll try another brand with the same test.

Orange underground pipe is made from the very same stuff as grey soil. The soil pipe just has (allegedly) a UV stabiliser in the mix.
Aquaflow glue seems to take a while to set compared to others. I bought it once and binned it after a couple of use.
If you are in a hurry for it to set get a tin of Effast or wet r dry

On a good joint, you're more likely to split /shatter the pipe than be able to break the joint down the glue line.

If it's separating down the glue line there's something wrong.

If you the correct solvent it sets very fast, within a couple of minutes at most, Do you think when we do work in customers houses that we have to wait 24hrs + for glue to set ?

If you are able to pull the joint apart you've either not applied enough glue or you've not given enough time to go off

If you are able to pull the joint apart you've either not applied enough glue or you've not given enough time to go off
OP Post 7 looks like he has left it for 24hrs and its still not stuck ,something not right , never waited more than 5min even in cold conditions

The initial set was quick but as multiple solvents are involved, there will be an initial flash-off followed by a longer period while the other solvents evaporate and during this time the glue slowly hardens. Given that solvents can only evaporate through the glue line this will take much longer - perhaps several days. Does not affect strength too much and in gravity water systems like drains there is no pressure to blow fittings apart. But as tamz notes the aquaflow cement might be the problem so I will try another brand

I've always had the opposite problem with solvent cement. When I've had to install a piece of pipe that required a quick twist into final position after insertion I've had to work fast as the cement set the joint so quickly. Something doesn't seem right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solvent weld on brown underground pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock