Search the forum,

Discuss Spanners......and a couple of other questions..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

So I am part way through my Level 2 at College and have been offered a job as an Apprentice working on Site.
I need to bring with me my own basic tool kit. I have a already got a couple of bits but hadn't yet bought the majority of the stuff needed. The work I've been doing previously I've just borrowed the plumbers tools.

And as I've only been shadowing a maintenance plumber I am bit unsure of whats needed for site work.

I have already got -

Blowtorch
Rothenberger 10" Grips
Tap Spanners
Stanley Knife
Tape Measure
Hammer
Radiator Spanner
Radiator Keys
Junior Hack Saw
Selection of Pipe Slices
Lots of PTFE

I know I need some adjustable's but don't know which to buy and I don't have much money either!
Really can't afford to get the Bacho ones everyone seems to recommend..
Please if anyone can suggest any decent ones that don't brake the bank that would be amazing!

Also, apart from Spanners and screwdrivers is there anything else I'm missing?

Ridiculously nervous about working on Site so want to turn up all ready and raring to go :)

Hi all

So I am part way through my Level 2 at College and have been offered a job as an Apprentice working on Site.
I need to bring with me my own basic tool kit. I have a already got a couple of bits but hadn't yet bought the majority of the stuff needed. The work I've been doing previously I've just borrowed the plumbers tools.

And as I've only been shadowing a maintenance plumber I am bit unsure of whats needed for site work.

I have already got -

Blowtorch
Rothenberger 10" Grips
Tap Spanners
Stanley Knife
Tape Measure
Hammer
Radiator Spanner
Radiator Keys
Junior Hack Saw
Selection of Pipe Slices
Lots of PTFE

I know I need some adjustable's but don't know which to buy and I don't have much money either!
Really can't afford to get the Bacho ones everyone seems to recommend..
Please if anyone can suggest any decent ones that don't brake the bank that would be amazing!

Also, apart from Spanners and screwdrivers is there anything else I'm missing?

Ridiculously nervous about working on Site so want to turn up all ready and raring to go :)
Sadly only bacho adjustables most guys would use,cant think of any other brands ,look on ebay see if you can get a deal on bachos

If investing in Bahco make sure its the wide jaw model and avoid the thin jaw version which is inclined to bite into tight brass nuts.

Ok. So I have succumbed to having to spend more money :)

If I only get one for now shall I get an 8 or 10"? Which will get the most use?

Thanks!

make sure you mark up your tools with your name on a sthey will invariabyl go missing

Build your tool kit up over time and always buy decent stuff or you'll buy twice. Start off with the basics bacho spanner , grips , measuring tape , pencils, hammer , pipe cutters. That should b enough to get u started then every week or so buy something els you will not b long building your tool kit up

Brilliant.....thanks :)

I managed to get a 10" pair for ÂŁ12 off eBay last night and I may invest in an 8" pair as well seeing as I got a bargain :)

Last edited:
Build your tool kit up over time and always buy decent stuff or you'll buy twice. Start off with the basics bacho spanner , grips , measuring tape , pencils, hammer , pipe cutters. That should b enough to get u started then every week or so buy something els you will not b long building your tool kit up

That's really helpful....thanks! Just want to make sure I've got the basics for now.

If buying 8" make sure its 9031 model. Short handle.wide jaw to 38mm. avoid 9031t.

Little things that probably wouldn't break the bank but would be useful. Bolster, cold chisel, wood chisel, boat level, pad saw, screwdrivers, senior hacksaw, floor board puller, sharpie markers and most importantly.......A teaspoon :wink:

A telescopic inspection mirror can be an essential tool.
A good torch needed and also get a head torch so to free both your hands for some jobs.
You might find Footprint grips are tools that you will want in the future. Very versatile and proven old British tool and I would now recommend the thumbwheel adjustable Footprints, rather than the more traditional bolt type adjustment. You can get them in 6, 7, 9 and 12 inch. The 7" and 9" are most popular.
http://www.mad4tools.com/footprint-...riantid=9941&gclid=CJirj5bngNICFeyT7Qodyn8B7Q

Last edited:
when i was a lad!!!!!!! (think ted heath was prime minister?)

i got a government grant for ÂŁ1000 worth of tools to set me up in a job as hotel-chain plumber, the claw hammer i bought then was ÂŁ45 !!! (still got it actually, its only had 2 new heads and 4 shafts) but cost me bugger all.lol.
dont know if you can still apply for one but you never know!

Between girls, it's worth taking a spare toilet roll. :yes:

when i was a lad!!!!!!! (think ted heath was prime minister?)

i got a government grant for ÂŁ1000 worth of tools to set me up in a job as hotel-chain plumber, the claw hammer i bought then was ÂŁ45 !!! (still got it actually, its only had 2 new heads and 4 shafts) but cost me bugger all.lol.
dont know if you can still apply for one but you never know!

Reminds me of my Dad. When he left the Navy the government paid for him to do all his driving. Set him up ready for work.

Agree with Best. Footprints are always useful. Can be picked up for next to nothing at Boot sales along with basin wrench, stanley knife (non retractable and not cheap imitations that split apart when pressing on blade) and hacksaws.

On the same theme as carrying toilets rolls, - take a bottle with you!
Sometimes you just have to go quick

I have a small pair of record stilsons probably about 12" in length, I use them on all radiators as leverage when tightening the valves. I'd be lost without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Spanners......and a couple of other questions..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock