Search the forum,

Discuss steel barrel to copper connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

damonsmith

Evening all

Would someone please give me some advice on available fittings to connect onto cut ended (i.e. not threaded) 1 1/4" steel barrel pipework, and then onto copper.

My client wants to add onto the end of a run of existing radiators, and because there is no easy access to a threaded joint, the plumber I'm working with has said it can't be done, however I've seen steel to copper connections on domestic water (presumably the same principle would apply to heating?)

Thanks in advance

The usual answer is Philmac or Plasson couplers, however, neither range is rated for central heating type temperatures. Best solution is to thread the exposed end of the steel pipe, then use a female iron to metric connector, if necessary followed by reducing coupling down to required pipe size.

Why not hire a manual threader? Or strip back to a fitting.
How old is your plumber?

Just to easy to hire a threader for a couple of Hrs. that's if you have the room to get on end of pipe ! & know what your doing !!

The usual answer is Philmac or Plasson couplers, however, neither range is rated for central heating type temperatures. Best solution is to thread the exposed end of the steel pipe, then use a female iron to metric connector, if necessary followed by reducing coupling down to required pipe size.
Sadly we can't get enough access to the cut ends of pipe to get on a die to cut a thread.

You could use a Viking Johnson aka a VJ adaptor
Cheers - don't suppose you have a link do you? I've tried google, but the only results I get are for mahoosive pipe connectors.

Why not hire a manual threader? Or strip back to a fitting.
How old is your plumber?
Therein lies the problem - the plumber is about 12...
...but can't get enough access to manually cut a thread, and there's no easily accessible joint in the vicinity to break back to

Thanks to everyone for their replies thus far - if anyone has used a Viking Johnson adaptor and has a link for one, please let me know as that would seem the way to go.

would think viking johnsons coupling would be hard to tight up inside a wall / no access

and maybe your plumber hasnt seen /used one of these or he isnt commercial, very good and handy

R520025-Detail_b487f109-385d-44a9-b815-cf03ac83bee9.png

rems eva

Been a month and most likely sorted, but if not, what about welding on a threaded part and then female fittings to metric as above.

I have seen LCS stick welded, 1 3/4" or 2" if I rightly remember.

As long as you use the correct gasket.

Design & Specifications of Piping Systems
www.vikingjohnson.com Viking Johnson Design Data 5
Design Data
The Viking Johnson system is suitable for an enormous range
of pipework applications and it is therefore impossible to give
a comprehensive list of potential uses. In general terms, the system
is suitable for virtually any pipeline, above or below ground level,
working within the following typical parameters:
Working Pressure
Up to 100 bar (1450psi), according to size and type of product. Up
to full vacuum. Higher pressures are available on request.
Temperature
Limited by gasket grade used, but within the range -60°C to +200°C
(-75°F to +390°F)
Note: At elevated temperatures, accelerated gasket relaxation will
occur, leading to reduced life of fitting
Suitable for
Water, gas, oil, petrochemicals, sewage, powdered solids,
granular solids, air. Subject to gasket grade used and product/
pipe limitations.

Evening all

Would someone please give me some advice on available fittings to connect onto cut ended (i.e. not threaded) 1 1/4" steel barrel pipework, and then onto copper.

My client wants to add onto the end of a run of existing radiators, and because there is no easy access to a threaded joint, the plumber I'm working with has said it can't be done, however I've seen steel to copper connections on domestic water (presumably the same principle would apply to heating?)

Thanks in advance

If you want to connect to 11/4 GB go up a size in brass straight connector this does work as I have tried this on 1/2 GB and used a 310 straight connector Irish fitting might have to clean the black paint off GB but it does work on 1/2 GB it will hold a test pressure of 6 Bar the equivalent in a Irish 310 would be a 610 metric

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to steel barrel to copper connections in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures I need to replace the cylinder because it is leaking and I am not able to find anyone who is comfortable to work on this this because it is barrel steel - Has anyone worked on this kind of...
Replies
Views
I've got to replace my leaking stopcock, it seems to be connected to old steel pipe about 25mm, I guess 3/4 inch. What is the correct way to connect to this pipe?The steel pipe comes up vertically then an elbow connector directly onto the old stopcock, however new stopcocks are compression...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am after some advice in regards to an existing sewer house connection. I have a property where I am looking at completing a small townhouse development - 3 x 3bed townhouses. The existing sewer hc for the property is assumed to be a 100mm stub. When completing small developments...
Replies
Views
Two connected houses in our 70s condo development, everyone served by one water meter at the road. 833 has 40 lbs of pressure while attached house 835 has over 100 lbs. -- no problems in either house or immediately outside -- and no pressure relief valves or shutoffs. Plumber traced the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock