Search the forum,

Discuss SVP (grey water) gases leaking out - What do you see (pics)? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ?
Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you?

I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections behind a layer of clean yellow Rockwool (see pic).

The connection is in a very awkward place to get to, behind kitchen cabinets, which is why I think it has been missed/overlooked (see plan).

The contractors plumber have dismissed these pictures as builders dust but my gut instinct is saying that it can't be a coincidence due to the location of the connection in relation to the smell and that the rock wool is clean on the outside but very dirty around the connection. I have checked everywhere else in the area, above and below.

This connection is located just above floor level in a boxed in column.

Short background: My flat and my next door neighbour are getting rotting veg like sewage smells coming out from around a grey water SVP. The pipe terminates mid wall (eye level) with a Durgo/AAV and this has been changed 3 times in the last 2 years. The SVP is boxed in to a small column that runs through 4 floors of our building but the smell problem is local to our two flats only and within a 2 meter radius of that SVP pipe (red circle in plan).

A camera inspection showed the pipe is not blocked all the way to ground level, yet the smell is still coming into our flat at low level from under the skirting in the area and the light switch. And in to my neighbours kitchen behind the cupboards again at low level.

Am I reaching or does this look like a pretty good sign of dirty air or even water coming out from that connection.

Thank you for you time and help, it's very much appreciated.
Jason

Attachments

• SVP close up 1.png
    SVP close up 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • leaking SVP and durgo-flat 23-2-Reminder Lane.JPG
    leaking SVP and durgo-flat 23-2-Reminder Lane.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 14.19.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 14.19.31.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • connection-about-150cm-down-from-inspect-hatch.jpg
    connection-about-150cm-down-from-inspect-hatch.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 19
  • clean-rockwool-hidding-the-connection.jpg
    clean-rockwool-hidding-the-connection.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 17
  • svp close up 3.png
    svp close up 3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • svp close up 2.JPG
    svp close up 2.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 21
Update: Spent most of the day looking at this and after some research, I realised that what I'm looking at is a boss connection - is that right? I believe these are solvent welded ... could this be my problem, one of the joins is leaking?

How can I test this boss connector for air leaks?
I only have access to a hatch near the AAV above the boss and access via the kitchen sink plumbing.

I was thinking of taking out the sink p trap and feeding the area with a smoke machine?

Attachments

• boss-3d-1.jpg
    boss-3d-1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 10
  • boss-3d-3.jpg
    boss-3d-3.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 14.08.33.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 14.08.33.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
You cant can only air test them but access will be required

You cant can only air test them but access will be required
Thanks for the reply Shaun. Much appreciated. This has been going on for so long now I feel like I'm on the brink of an answer.

Do you mean access to the whole stack - What did you have in mind?
And out of curiosity why won't my smoke test idea work? 🤔

Thanks for the reply Shaun. Much appreciated. This has been going on for so long now I feel like I'm on the brink of an answer.

Do you mean access to the whole stack - What did you have in mind?
And out of curiosity why won't my smoke test idea work? 🤔

basically you will need access to that fitting and to do a smoke test it will have to be filled internally with smoke but then it’s not the best test

better to bung below and fill with water and see if it leaks

basically you will need access to that fitting and to do a smoke test it will have to be filled internally with smoke but then it’s not the best test

better to bung below and fill with water and see if it leaks
I see what you mean. Yeah I was worried about smoke being unreliable.
I have a good relationship with the neighbour downstairs who will have an access point in his kitchen (same layout).
I should be possible to bung the SVP. It's a really good idea. Water should seep out of a hole.

Do you think would find its way out of top and bottom joins of the boss? I'm not so hot at physics :)

Did you manage to sort your problem?
Hey Lou, No unfortunately not.

I have had some progress though, albeit not great news.

The master landlord & original build contractor believe the smell has nothing to do with the SVP and have instead placed the blame on a poorly sealed smoke extraction shaft that runs from top-to-bottom of our block and is located just outside my front door (see plan). They think that the smell is a combination of multiple floors and we just have bad luck to be getting the smell coming through.

I do agree that the huge mass of air that is circulating the smell around my flat is coming from the gaps in that shaft because I can feel it through an inspection hole I made just over 1m away from the shaft but I don't think they are right about the source of the smell itself.

As a result of their conclusion they refuse to do a smoke test.

I have decided to try a couple of things myself:
1. Asked my neighbour on the floor below to use a very strong smelling cleaner in the sink. If that smell comes up to us then there is something up with that SVP connection.
2. I've bought a small fog machine and I'm going to do a small local test and see if I get anything at all come through the Durgo(aav) or the boss connector. Its a long shot but cheap and easy to try.

The contractor has agreed that the shaft should be sealed and will do the work at some point in the future but in the meantime I'm still stuck with the smell.

With this in mind I'm going to cut open the wall near my front door and seal all the gaps from my side of the shaft which at least will have a massive effect on the airflow and potentially the smell too.

Gosh that all sounds a bit drastic! I hope that you manage to make progress. Keep us updated!

Reply to SVP (grey water) gases leaking out - What do you see (pics)? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock