Search the forum,

Discuss System boiler rads on but no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have an old system boiler. Tenants are saying rads heating but not hot water. Sorry if this has been asked before but please can you advise what the cause might be?

Thanks a lot
Betty

Evening Betty. We would need more information really. Like what boiler, what system set up you have I.e diverter valve or zone valves in the airing cupboard?

Hi
the boiler is a ELAN 2 RS40
Not sure if I have diverter only or zone valves -I have various taps next to tank upstairs - my notes say
  • "run pump on first setting if possible with the gage at 6pm to stop a lot of air getting into system"
  • Also have red tap for hot water "which should be turned on and off to stop it ceasing up " - have not been doing this
  • Also other high tap to turn off if a radiator leaks
  • Also there is a lower red tap - advised not to touch
Any ideas? Thanks a lot
Betty

First thought is that a zone valve has stopped working.
This is a 3 port valve:
honeywell-v4044c1288-22mm-motorised-3-port-diverter-valve.jpg
There are also 2 port valves that just have a straight brass part underneath the top box, unlike the brass 'T' shown in this picture.
There are a few different ways these can be set up, there is C plan, Y plan etc. You probably won't be able to determine what plan you have, but the common factor is zone valves and it sounds like that's your issue to me.
You can test them, there is a manual override lever on them.
If you can find a zone valve that has a pipe leading to a low entry point on your hot water cylinder, feel the pipe when your system is set to hot water, then operate the manual lever and see if the pipe gets instantly hotter.
If so then your valve has gone, usually not a massive job for a plumber to replace the valve.
There's also a possibility of a blockage in the pipework that goes to and from the cylinder heating coil, but the valve is the first thing I'd check.

Wow this sounds like a very old system no M/Valves just a pump and a couple of gate valves to shut of heating if not required some photos of controls would help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System boiler rads on but no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external wall) which for the most part seems to provide excellent hot water. The central heating also works fine - though sometimes I think the radiuators...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock