Search the forum,

Discuss System to Combi - Flue Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

My plumber is taking out a broken Worcester Greenstar system boiler in a cupboard and replacing it with a Baxi Duo-tec 28 combi. I'd like to have the new boiler in the same place but he's said the horizontal flue/labour involved would make this a lot more expensive. Circa £400. Does that sound right? The flue itself looks to be £70 extra or so and this is a bungalow, so a low roof.

The current plan is to put the Baxi in the kitchen and have a vertical flue to the outside wall. My only question about that is if I or a prospective buyer wanted to to extend, would I have to move the boiler or could I just convert the flue to horizontal?

So, two questions really. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed.

Are you getting your vertical and horizontal mixed up?
Or is it how I’m reading it?

Vertical flues are more expensive and involve more labour.

You can change from one type to the other at a later date, as long as it’s possible to do it and materials are still available.

Are you getting your vertical and horizontal mixed up?
Or is it how I’m reading it?

Vertical flues are more expensive and involve more labour.

You can change from one type to the other at a later date, as long as it’s possible to do it and materials are still available.

Sorry, typo. The existing is vertical and it's going to be horizontal, yes.
Thanks for the reply.

If the existing is vertical, the hole is there already.
Why not stick to that?

To swap, you would need to make good the roof and knock a hole in the wall so cost wise, swings and roundabouts.

Sorry, typo. The existing is vertical and it's going to be horizontal, yes.
Thanks for the reply.

The extra cost doesn't seem unreasonable for a task that presumably will need a small amount of scaffolding (or something) for access and possibly a couple of hours help from a roofer.

Pay extra for vertical flue. There will be more cost tha just the terminal kit. It will need extra lengths and possibly bends. Will need support brackets too.

Some photos of excising flue would be useful ! if old flue is close to edge of roof £400 seems about right

The extra cost doesn't seem unreasonable for a task that presumably will need a small amount of scaffolding (or something) for access and possibly a couple of hours help from a roofer.

I changed my boiler a couple of weeks ago. Roof work inc, reposition, swap and retrim tiles, remove and utilise existing lead slate: 45 mins maximum. Unless the roof is odd, or has slate or special tiles, you would be mad to pay for a roofer. They charge even more than us :)

But, obviously, we haven't seen the job.

I changed my boiler a couple of weeks ago. Roof work inc, reposition, swap and retrim tiles, remove and utilise existing lead slate: 45 mins maximum.... you would be mad to pay for a roofer.

Meanwhile over on UK Roofers Forums:
I changed my boiler a couple of weeks ago. Replace boiler and utilise existing pipes and flue: 3 hours maximum.... you would be mad to pay for a GSR.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System to Combi - Flue Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock