Search the forum,

Discuss tado smart thermostat / vokera 25he in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 99918

anyone know if it's possible to use a tado smart thermostat with a vokera 25he?

at the moment there is no roomstat at all. to use heating i need to go to the boiler and turn it on manually (ie turn it from hot water only to heating/hot water).

how would it install though? as my boiler currently has no roomstats at all.

i don't see anything included in the kit that connects to the boiler.
it seems to assume you already have an existing roomstat to replace.

how would it install though? as my boiler currently has no roomstats at all.

i don't see anything included in the kit that connects to the boiler.
it seems to assume you already have an existing roomstat to replace.

I’ve done new installs also upgraded to a Tado.

You can’t remove the cover off the boiler. Tado/homeserve offer an installation service get them out or get a competent gas engineer to install it.

Usually you get a bridge, thermostat and/or extension kit that is optional.

i work for a large gas maintenance company, so getting an gas safe engineer to do it for me won't be an issue.

so the bridge is supplied? or is that an optional extra?

The bridge is not an optional extra (the bridge usually connects to the router)

Ask the gas engineer to install it for you it’s pretty simple.

A lot of folk I know don’t like installing them.

ok i'm confused then.
if the bridge connects to the router, where is the connection to the boiler?

the thermostat itself is wireless, so something needs to be wired into the boiler. is that included in the kit?
remember that my boiler currently has nothing at all.

no point getting a gas engineer out until i've bought the required kit.
the smart thermostat kit doesn't appear to have anything included to connect to the boiler, only has the roomstat and the bridge.

the start kit includes -
Smart Thermostat, Internet Bridge, USB cables, connectors, ethernet cable, mounting screws, adhesive pads, labeling for cables, screwdriver, 3 AAA batteries

so as i asked, i would need to buy extra kit to have this connected up or does the bridge get physically wired to the boiler and also connect to the wifi? my understanding is that the internet bridge would not physically be wired to the boiler. this suggest i'd need to buy something else on top of the starter kit. the starter kit assumes you alread have a wired connection to the boiler.

Nest comes with heat link which connects to the boiler and the thermostat which can be placed anywhere but the thermosta requires e 12vdc supply either from heat link or can be plugged into usb lead which comes with nest.

Nest comes with heat link which connects to the boiler and the thermostat which can be placed anywhere but the thermosta requires e 12vdc supply either from heat link or can be plugged into usb lead which comes with nest.

yeah that's the down side. a stupid ugly USB cable having to hang down to a socket.

looks like neither of these are really going to be aesthetically pleasing.
with solid brick walls internally, it's not possible to do any internal wiring.

ok i'm confused then.
if the bridge connects to the router, where is the connection to the boiler?

the thermostat itself is wireless, so something needs to be wired into the boiler. is that included in the kit?
remember that my boiler currently has nothing at all.

The stat can also be wired. Mine is. The bridge is wired to the boiler in place of a std stat.

What I should have said was that the bridge connects to both boiler & router but the router connection is wireless.

Then of course you have the little wireless transmitter connected 'directly' to the transmitter.

so the bridge can be hard wired to the boiler?, and the stat can be placed anywhere.

the bridge would then do the job of both connecting to the router via WIFI and connecting to the stat via RF ?

so the bridge can be hard wired to the boiler?, and the stat can be placed anywhere.

the bridge would then do the job of both connecting to the router via WIFI and connecting to the stat via RF ?

That is exactly how mine works, but I've no idea if things have changed. Mine has been in nearly three years now. Personally I'd not buy another but it's ok.

Hmm. To be honest, I had a load of issues with the guys early on. I tried communicating with them about how it worked and what it did and what it could do but was given very short shrift - aka the German middle finger.

The 10 year olds developing it had literally no idea what I was talking about! I had to explain basic controls concepts. However, subsequently they have been convinced by someone else (I don't do lederhosen) to 'try' to effect in 11 out of 16 points I raised.

Arrogance always has been their watch word and this approach only further reinforces that.

The energy consumption savings numbers they produce are funnier than Russell Kane's rant son Twitter. A literal joke. I'll not go on, but if you want to see more my reviews are on Amazon where I sincerely hope they have harmed sales simply because they do not deserve to succeed.

That is exactly how mine works, but I've no idea if things have changed. Mine has been in nearly three years now. Personally I'd not buy another but it's ok.

In Yorkshire daves case i think the thermostat is wired to the boiler, the bridge is connected to the router and the thermostat is wirelessly connected to the bridge.

In Yorkshire daves case i think the thermostat is wired to the boiler, the bridge is connected to the router and the thermostat is wirelessly connected to the bridge.

I'm pretty sure its not done that way. Otherwise I'd be able to override the boiler when the bridge goes down - and I can't. I darn sure the stat is wired to the bridge, the bridge to the boiler & also the bridge to tinterweb.

Still would never have another. That said, having installed quite a few Nests, I'd not install those either. Closest I can find to worth anything is the Honeywell Evo but that's still not as good as a 1990 Omintrol...

Current Tado hardware allows control when internet goes down.
The Bridge (a small white box with 3 LEDs) has no connections other than power in and Ethernet socket. It connects wirelessly to the Thermostat to allow data interchange between the Thermostat and their Internet Servers.

The Thermostat can be hard wired to the Boiler as any normal stat but still need it's battery. To use the Thermostat wirelessly it has to wirelessly connect to the Extension Kit (a larger white box). The Extension Kit is hard wired to controls to switch both heating and hot water. It has to also connect wirelessly to the Bridge to allow Servers to control it.

I found the online installation instructions a dream to use if you tell it what your previous setup was. Extension kit just swaps onto a standard controller backplate.

Once installed Tado works really well, particularly the location detection using mobile phones to turn system off when we're out. I can also use my phone or Alexa to control it remotely.

Tado is a very German company, owned largely by Venture Capitalists.

The Trustpilot thread referenced to above is factually wrong. Tado v2 devices purchased outright are still fully supported by current and future Apps without subscription.

I have no connections to Tado - bought mine cheap on a well known auction site.

Last edited:
Current Tado hardware allows control when internet goes down.
The Bridge (a small white box with 3 LEDs) has no connections other than power in and Ethernet socket. It connects wirelessly to the Thermostat to allow data interchange between the Thermostat and their Internet Servers.

The Thermostat can be hard wired to the Boiler as any normal stat but still need it's battery. To use the Thermostat wirelessly it has to wirelessly connect to the Extension Kit (a larger white box). The Extension Kit is hard wired to controls to switch both heating and hot water. It has to also connect wirelessly to the Bridge to allow Servers to control it.

I found the online installation instructions a dream to use if you tell it what your previous setup was. Extension kit just swaps onto a standard controller backplate.

Once installed Tado works really well, particularly the location detection using mobile phones to turn system off when we're out. I can also use my phone or Alexa to control it remotely.

Tado is a very German company, owned largely by Venture Capitalists.

The Trustpilot thread referenced to above is factually wrong. Tado v2 devices purchased outright are still fully supported by current and future Apps without subscription.

I have no connections to Tado - bought mine cheap on a well known auction site.

My apologies. I was WRONG. I'd forgotten about the little thing connected to the router as its tucked away. Yes I have the extension and the stat's wired to it.

GOES AWAY AND PUTS HIS COAT OVER HIS HEAD IN THE CORNER...:oops::oops::oops:

Reply to tado smart thermostat / vokera 25he in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in a very cold 3 bed detacthed house. We have a Baxi 400 heat only boiler and use Tado smart thermostat and controler to replace the old honeywell programmer. Pump is a CirculatingPumps CP50. The boiler flow temp is set at 75c and the thermistat is at 21c but it is not warm enough and...
Replies
Views
I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor thermostat and now it's not switching on the boiler to heat that floor. The thermostat display is fine and the app is fine. All systems say they are fine and...
Replies
Views
Considering buying the Tado Smart Thermostat and valves. My upstairs radiators are older and I'm unsure if the valves will be compatible. Has anyone had any experience of installing Tado Smart Valves. Do you know how to determine if they'll fit?
Replies
Views
I'm looking to upgrade my central heating system with Tado, however my system has two controllers which can fire up the boiler independently and I don't understand why. One controller is for the hot water plus the downstairs underfloor heating with multiple zones controlled by thermostats, the...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, I have a customer with a heavily extended semi which now has 4 beds, 2 bathroom and 5 reception rooms. They have started working from home and want to zone the heating system, unfortunately the system boiler and cylinder is in the garage with 2 x 22mm primary pipes disappearing...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock