Search the forum,

Discuss Tap is jammed and won't turn off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning everyone,

The hot water tap in the bathroom has decided to throw a tantrum and doesn't turn off, I have turned the mains off for now. The taps in the basin and tub are pretty bog standard and they tend to drip slightly unless I fully turn them off making it hard for a child to turn them on.
I turned the hot water tap in the bathtub all the way off hard as there was a drip and I heard a slight 'click' and since then it doesn't want to turn back off.

Any advice on what the issue could be and how could it be solved, any info would be great.

P.S I may buy new taps at some point and do I need to look into things such as buying taps which fit the high water pressure, do I need any other parts when buying taps? I would love to get mixer taps however the basin and tub have single slots in them for single taps so not sure I could get a mixer tap in.

WIN_20170604_09_43_00_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170604_09_42_45_Pro.jpg

Put the plug in the bath. Small screwdriver, prise the centre cap off where the Red ring is, undo the centre screw to remove the tap handle and reveal the cartridge, look to see if the circlip is still in place. You can buy a tap reviver to replace the guts of the tap. Take old one with you to compare though.

As above post. ^^^ Also note that because it is plastic heads, they could break inside and will just rotate.
The riviver heads with works can be bought from Screwfix. You just need to know if the works are the normal small size 1/2" or the 3/4"

Lee, they have known about it for many, many weeks and haven`t done or said anything hence my frustration and the frustration of members who try and reach me for help during the working day.
I've assigned it to Dan.....If he can't sort it then no one can, give it a few days so he can look into it. I'm limited with the tools I have as a mod and not admin.

Sometimes the cartridges get stuck in the closed or open position and the two connecting pieces need to be lined back up again. Quiet easy to look at and if it is not this. Just change the full cartridge

As mentioned above, but not a full kit... I keep a few these on the van from screwfix : Flomasta Threaded Tap Glands 24mm x ½ Just £3 each, 5 min job. Make sure you get a good grip on both the tap and the old head when trying to remove or the tap might spin round and start leaking from below..

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone already said, the heads are plastic and where it is screwed to the tap it breaks and spins.

They are non-rising spindle taps and you might have stripped the threads on the part that has the washer, as posted earlier get replacement from Screwfix.

You could install a mixer there because I've done one in the same way.
I can't remember the make, but it had a section coming up from each tap hole and it was all one piece.
It looked like a bar shower mixer valve, I think that's the right term.

But be aware the size of the tap holes compared to the shank diameters :mad:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, thinking about it, bath tap holes should be a set distance apart, they look standard to me.

Measure centre to centre and check bath mixer catalogues to be sure, but it looks safe to me.
But don't just take my word for it.

Even single body bath mixers have only two holes for taps, you just have to be aware that the tap that goes in might have different diameters to the holes.

But distance between holes should be same.

150mm generally. The prob OP had was hydraulic lock. Watet under high presdure gets past oring and into centre thread. Then taps cannot be closed as water is non compressable. Fix is not replacement but simple disassembly cleaning and rebewal of 1 o ring. Simples :=)

150mm generally. The prob OP had was hydraulic lock. Watet under high presdure gets past oring and into centre thread. Then taps cannot be closed as water is non compressable. Fix is not replacement but simple disassembly cleaning and rebewal of 1 o ring. Simples :=)
How was the show at the Ricoh mate?

In many words, completely, genuinely, consumingly awesome!

We explained the kit to over 140 people in total, but much more importantly it was a genuine pleasure to be there among people who actually care about what they do and how they do it - the likes of you.

We did 900 miles of travel over the three days and even took our own lunches - as we've poured everything into TM - but I managed to lose weight as I simply never had time to eat - just enjoyed it sooo much. Hell who needs a diet when you can get such a buzz from such an embarrassingly simple little invention!?! ;)

Just about to take delivery of stuff to start a rather important trial with a national player so currently both very stressed AND very excited. Sorry, just realised I've gone off on one :rolleyes::D

As soon as we have some kits to trial I'll be in touch ...

Of course :cool:
Can you DM me, or whatever the equiv is on here :confused:, your details or if you're on Twitter get them to me on there @TapMedic ;)

Oh hell ! The 'deed' police will be on my back now and it was an innocent deed on my part :(
Follow us on twitter and you'll be sure to hear. Any question PLEASE dont post here, start a 'conversation'... Strange I always thought these were conversations :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap is jammed and won't turn off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I bought a basin tap single lever. It lifts up & to the right but won’t turn to the left for hot I haven installed it yet I’ve only put it on my worktop.
Replies
Views
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn the water off to avoid potential catastrophic damage. When I go away I have always tended to turn ours off, that's typically anything from a couple of...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from running. This valve does seem very stiff. I am assuming I have to turn the value clockwise since if I turn it anti-clockwise it actually starts dripping...
Replies
Views
I have a kitchen mixer tap with quarter turn levers and the cold side started dripping. I took out the ceramic valve and replaced it with one from Screwfix but it hasn’t solved the problem it still drips. Could it be a dodgy valve or is it something else? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock