Search the forum,

Discuss Taped up flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Egghead

Hi, I'm about to buy a house and have a question about the flue which is connected to a gas fire.

Please see the attached photo. The flue has been taped at the joints and i was wondering if this should be something to be concerned about.

The current owners have said that this flue is not connected to anything so is not an issue but there is a gas fire in the front room which must be connected to it (the house does not have a chimney)

Also, the house was built in 1980's is it likely that the gas/water pipes will be earth bonded?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ATT00003.jpeg
    ATT00003.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 136
It rather sets alarm bells ringing more the fact that the owner doesn't know what the Gas fire is attached to. I would insist that a gas safety inspection as a minimum is carried out I bet the gas fire has never been serviced either. Ensure that the gas engineer used has fires on his ticket

even when I click that one it says I don't have permission

Thank you Riley. This was what I thought and I have no experience in this field. You have confirmed my suspicions and so I will get a gas safe registered (with fires) person to have a look at it before we buy.
Thanks for your response, it is appreciated

Want my honest opinion, do away with it if it's never been serviced and put a new one in or go electric. Gas fires are only good if they're used regularly and are looked after

Ok will have a look into replacing it with an electric one. Thanks

FairPlay mate. If you have your heart set on real flame just ensure you maintain

You will have a pre cast flue for the fire. This then terminated in the roof to twinwall flue pipe. I would recommend getting a gas safe engineer to smoke test the entire flue, as the pre cast flies built in the 80's are renowned for blockages caused by cement joints.

Ok thanks Chalked, much appreciated. Will get it checked...better to be safe than sorry.

should be no tape. its an 80s pre cast, its probably passed its lifespan, too small a cathcment and most were fitted incorrectly. brick up and fit a leccy fire.

Fitted quite a few of those back in the day. As other people have said it's fitted with a pre-cast flue for a fire though i've done quite a few with back boilers, that went to twin wall to a ridge terminal or normal terminal.

Generally it was Selkirk twin wall 'twist and lock' and a few installers i knew didn't trust it and would also tape the joint up as well, though the tape on that looks in pretty good nick.

As it's been said before get it checked out, if it's working properly then there's no reason you can't have a gas fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Taped up flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock