Search the forum,

Discuss taps -which way round in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumdum

in my bathroom, the bath taps have the cold water on the RHS, but my basin has the cold on the LHS.
Which way round is correct?
and should they be the other way round for a left handed person?
(ps: i must confess it was i that plumbed them in when i was learning to plumb about ten years ago;))

colds usually on the right and hot on the left.

all depends on wich side your hot and cold pipework is on tho.

You can swap them round the right way with a couple of flexis

You can swap them round the right way with a couple of flexis

Or stand with your back against the basin :p

Its not so much that blind people do,nt scold themselves,it is to stop them paying call outs to plumbers all the time,thinking the hot water has broken down !

Thats me reported to the politicaly correct awareness commition again

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately right hand side for cold - its the water regs!

P.s Don't drink water from your bathroom if you've got cold water storage in your loft!

Jon

I always thought it was because most people are right handed and will therefore turn on the right hand tap by default.

I always thought it was because most people are right handed and will therefore turn on the right hand tap by default.

Right handed does seem to be the historical default,spiral stair cases in castles were built to allow the castle defenders to swing thier swords in thier right hand,when on stair case so thier left shoulder would be against the center of the well,so they went down anti clockwise

another great piece of useless information brought to you by puddel,puddel and puddel makers of fine ......puddles :)

always fit the hot tap on a bath to the inside so that if a kid opens a tap they will get wet but not scalded, so depending what way round the bath is i can have hot on left or right but always on the inside, but do agree on hot generally to the left for sink units, will try to have a look in the BS docs to see if it states must be to the left, but i deliver the water byelaw course and dont remember anything in there about it

I didn't think it was a British Standard, more of a plumbers code of conduct as if a customer wants they can have it the other way round

Ive fitted taps before only to have a customer call me and want it the other way round as the rest of his house has hot on the right. Probs my fault for not asking/checking.

Being blind? does that impeed your ability to feel heat?

I guess the thinking was that hot could be turned on and initially the water would feel cold until enough water had passed through system to allow hot to travel from heat exchanger/storage to outlet. The poor sighted/blind person could put hand under when initially cold(thinking it was cold, although being hot outlet), remove hand for time and then replace under outlet after a while and find out then that it was hot.OUCH!!!!

i asked my brother in law (who is blind) what he thought about hot to left so he didnt get burned, he said "i'm fu****g blind, not stupid i turn a tap on and feel the water, if it starts to get hot i think it is the hot tap, if it stays cold i think it is the cold tap". priceless

Allways taught hot to left , standard plumbing, suits kitchen mixer taps , the flow are now separate , to not cross contamiate , except as kirkgas said, bath hot always at back in case small kids turn on tap and get scalded, if kids reach the first tap they will just get wet hands (cold water). good practice.

Go in any council,public or government building,HW Left,potable right.It's not about scalding it's about potable drinking water,I always think the same when visiting a house for quotes and see vice versa,much the same as PTFE on threads of compression fittings:)

i believe there is an exemption that rule if you are a builder ha every new extention i go into has horrible grey hep pipe all the wrong way round and never clipped just presumed there was a special builder exemtion ha.apologies to all you proffesional builders out there (all three of you ha)

Agree. Cold on right, hot on left. Interesting thread though. (Is there a British Standard?)

Blind people have certain difficulties, but they're not stupid! They can tell the difference.

Agree. Cold on right, hot on left. Interesting thread though. (Is there a British Standard?)

Blind people have certain difficulties, but they're not stupid! They can tell the difference.

you think they can taste the difference from cold water from a hot tap compared to potable?

From about the 1950s/60s it's been practice to place the hot tap on the left and the cold on the right. This wasn't so much a regulation as an agreement within the building trade. Not only are most people right-handed and likely to want to use the cold tap more often than the hot ( teeth cleaning, a drink, filling the kettle), but it was a guide for blind people that the hot should always be on the left and the cold on the right, so that they always knew to expect that arrangement. Needless to say, some houses have it the other way round - blinking cowboys get everywhere!

All Bath n basin mixers are the same way! I was taught its for the blind.

Here's another way of looking at it: with the possible exception of the bath-tub (which has it own rules about tap orientation anyway), I expect the kitchen sink gets the most use in any household. Nine times out of ten you go to the sink carrying something in your hand, be it a kettle or a plate, etc. Most people are right-handed, therefore that object will be in their right hand, leaving their left hand free to turn on a tap. The instinct then is to reach for the left hand tap, or in the case of monobloc taps, the left-hand lever, where you risk getting water on your sleeve if you do otherwise. I would argue therefore that having cold on the left is more convenient. But there is something more important at stake - energy. When it comes to washing and rinsing, if it is so much more practical to reach for the left hand tap every time - even though you don't necessary need hot water - that's x amount of energy being wasted, often most of it not even reaching the spout. Multiply that by millions of household and millions of hours and you've got a case for breaking with tradition.

think in another 5 years or so you will just stand in front of the sink on the right or the left hand side and say hot 55 deg please and cold 19 deg...low and hey presto out the water pops..quick wah and then jump into your steering wheeless car.....:75:

That's because youdontknowitall

Maybe now you do, I did'nt realise it was an old thread:6:

Last edited:
Hot goes to what was hot and cold to cold. Cant go upsetting custs by changing things.

For me, hot it the furthest away from where a small child could turn it on. That was what I was taught and it makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to taps -which way round in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock