Search the forum,

Discuss Terrible smells in new house I have moved into in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
what size pipe has been used to vent? it needs to be 2" (50mm) minimum. 40mm will NOT suffice.
PLUS you should fit anti vac traps to basins & sinks.
why? because its quite likely that a trap is having its seal sucked out. if you fit anti vacs everywhere you can it helps reduce that impact by allowing more air into the system.
I don't know about pipe size on the extended bit I will have to find out but it is the same size as the soil pipe (I think) - Is it possible this isn't working because the end of the soil pipe still has an AAV (behind walls as stated above) on it that is possibly malfunctioning? or should the extended pipe pull the gases/smells through to the outside . Thanks for all your advice.

On photograph 4, the convoluted grey pipe appears to be wet. Also there is evidence of corrosion on the compression fittings. Where is this water coming from?

What do the smells smell like? For example, are they 'mushroomy' (fungus or rotting wood), 'eggy' (hydrogen sulphide) , rotting vegatables (mercaptans), etc. ?
I think eggy..... (although not sure exactly what others smell like)....

with an adequate vent the aav's condition will not impact performance. However, if its failed open it WILL stink the place out. in your shoes id find it and either cap it off or extend it to vent as it should have

Ok... I guess its not failed open as the smell isn't always there.... it mainly appears in the area of the soil pipe downstairs once the loos and sinks (upstairs) have been used and flushed in the morning and then it is not every day it happens - it can go a few days with nothing and then the last two days it has happened each morning. I have two issues - traps and soil pipe I think.... The plumber also told me that the soil pipe has a few bends in it to get to the eventual ground extraction point (which he advised should not be happening on a soil pipe!!).... its a DIY botch job I think and everything is behind walls, kitchen units etc to give me maximum disruption to sort it all out.

If the AAV has failed closed, there is a good chance the flushing of toilets or emptying of basins could pull traps elsewhere. When you flush a toilet do you get any gurgling noises or change of water level at a second toilet (if you have one) or at any sinks or basins?

Are you still searching for the location of any AAV on a stub stack hidden somewhere?

If the AAV has failed closed, there is a good chance the flushing of toilets or emptying of basins could pull traps elsewhere. When you flush a toilet do you get any gurgling noises or change of water level at a second toilet (if you have one) or at any sinks or basins?

Are you still searching for the location of any AAV on a stub stack hidden somewhere?
Yes there have been some strange water levels in toilets and a thudding noise on one of them after the flush and Yes I am searching for the location of a hidden stub stack which I think must be behind the plastered walls in the main bathroom at the back of the toilet. We put in an pipe extension off a visible part of the soil stack downstairs to outside in the hope it would solve the smell but with an idea it may also mean capping off the actual soil stack. Unfortunately this means will have to disrupt walls but what you are saying sounds right - the smell is intermittent and can happen twice a day, once a day and then not at all for three/four days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Terrible smells in new house I have moved into in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock