Search the forum,

Discuss The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
please, please,start a new thread for this one sys :)

system3 i think you protest too much............your van must be full of flexis and pushfits, its all in the name...........

plumbing systems-

system 1 ----- lead
system 2 ----- copper
SYSTEM 3 ----- FLEXI FLEXI FLEXI........... :tounge_smile:

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
i put this question (to use or not to use flexis) to mu tutor at college. his answer was, 'why would you spend years at college pulling bends in copper pipe to then go and use a nasty flexi hose in someones house'. this isnt my argument as i havnt got the experience to even take part, i just thought id share my tutor's view.

I#m pretty sure, the more I think about it, that the reason I use flexi's is because it's quicker and more lucrative than copper.

That hits the nail right on the head. Flexi's and plastics save time and time is money.

I still won't use flexis unless they come with the taps or it is a btw pan or plastics unless it is virtually impossible to run a copper pipe through the space without major disruption.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but i take pride in what i do and the materials i use. Plumbing is easy, Most people could use plastics and flexis without any skills. However i believe when i leave a job the customer can look at it and know he /she has had a professional job done and can see the quality they are paying for. The same can not be said for flexi's and plastics.

Sadly, I find most of the public are totally ignorant of what materials a plumber uses. Oddly, they often will pay high prices for an unprofessional job. A job that uses plastic plumbing & flexis should be much cheaper for the customer, IMO, otherwise there is no point a plumber bothering to use copper.

well just now i have had 3 jobs in the last two weeks that i have been out to leaks on heating or leaks in lofts because plastic has been used, Mice are eating the pipes as there looking for places to nest just now a real pain in the bum but pays the wages

I had a call to a house in Kilsyth last year where a room in the top floor of the house was like a waterfall. Mice were having a banquet on the plastic pipework in the attic.
Even the cleanest, most expensive houses can have mice at one time or another and they just love eating plastic pipe.

It's interesting that no plastic pipe manufacturer has come up with a solution to this problem.

Plastic pipe manufacturers probably don't like to broadcast the problem of rodents eating pipes. Small print says, not suitable for places with rodents. That could mean anywhere! They also won't like the dangers of too hot water destroying the pipes, when a boiler overheats.

They also won't like the dangers of too hot water destroying the pipes, when a boiler overheats.
That happened to me last year and a plastic joint blew into orbit. Once was enough and won't use it again.

That happened to me last year and a plastic joint blew into orbit. Once was enough and won't use it again.

At a boiler today, that the control stat failed & the plastic flow pipe disintegrated in several places - even 4 metres from boiler! This does, & will happen, occasionally,- this is the third job I have seen with same thing. Had it have been copper - then no problem.

Even the manu's of plastic piping know it is not and never will be in the same field as copper. They don't care and why should they. They are out to make money.
Plastics cost pennies to make but they are expensive to buy because they have to factor in the thousands of claims made against them every year for failures.
Ever since the old Acorn stuff was introduced in the 80's it has been billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread and totally reliable. If it, and their fittings were so good why do they constantly change and upgrade their stuff. Copper is the same (though a lot thinner) as it was when it was first introduced.

If it, and their fittings were so good why do they constantly change and upgrade their stuff.
That's what I tell people, - Hep have changed the design of their fittings 2 or 3 times, so the previous ones mustn't have been good enough!

If a custard specs plastic pipe cos its a third of the price of copper i always say the fitting are more expensive but this is offset by labour on quick installation. But i always recommend a ultrasound plug in rodent repeller only about a tenner of flea bay and scares of rodents for about a 1000 SQUARE FEET. just plugs in and qarentees no chewing through pipe. I also carry one on van and give to custard before any install that requires under floor pipework even in copper below floor a couple of days before work starts just to prevent an awkward stand off between me and a large rat

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rat won't be pleased with you if you fit copper pipes, - no dinner! Lol!
Those ultrasound plug in things? - I have seen these fitted, but mice still happy to hang around forever, so obviously no good. May just have been the make of them.

Rat won't be pleased with you if you fit copper pipes, - no dinner! Lol!
Those ultrasound plug in things? - I have seen these fitted, but mice still happy to hang around forever, so obviously no good. May just have been the make of them.

might have had a faulty emitter. its not like you can tell unless your a rat. its a really high pitched noise that we can't hear and it is unbearable to them and they naff off before i go under floors etc.

It's unusual to have rats and mice sharing the same loft space. They usually don't co-exist well together. Rats can be got rid with an emitter, but mice will put up with just about anything. Best is a flame thrower, but that would burn the damn house down.

Something I tried last year in a house that gets lots of mice in the winter months was to cover the plastic pipe in Denso tape. Seems they don't like the taste and the pipe run is still intact to this day.

Just got caught,replaced a mono block basin mixer at the start of the week and used old flexi's as seemed in good nick and longer than the new one's supplied with new taps

Got called back last night as one leaking,fitted new ones and extended pipe work,as I probably should of done in the first place :innocent:

Now that's an advantage about using flexis ... you can blame the fitting.

Can't blame copper really.

Now that's an advantage about using flexis ... you can blame the fitting.

Can't blame copper really.

I am great of blaming everything and everyone else,flexi,copper,steel or plastic,I am not prejudice were covering up my incompetence is concerned !
:ninja:

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock