Search the forum,

Discuss The worst plumbing invention ever..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My house is on drops and has em too. Pain in the rse!:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What about htose rad valves with the flow AND return on the same valve, they gotta be one of the stupidest and ugliest inventions out there.

Concealed wc cisterns with bottom feed float valves is just plain stupid.

I've got one. Fitted it a few years back. It's great, makes it much easier for cleaning. I used the metal frame and it's fine.

I would only fit one with a metal frame.

I've fitted 4 last year. One of the lads who weighs 19 stone tested the first one out by seating on it and lifting his legs up in the air!! It didn't budge, though it made me a bit nervous!!

I would only fit one with a metal frame.
Had a customer that had asked me to fit one on a wooden self made frame.
I refused to do that. So he took someone else that did it for him.
I know both his sons very well. Had great fun when they told me that he had fallen down with the pan a couple of years later just before christmas.

Get a metal frame and you will be fine. Do not forget that the manufacturer request double sheeting under the tile for load distribution.
But I fitted plenty on single sheeted walls with no problems yet.
They have to hold 400kg loaded on the front of the pan.
So do not try to screw the metal frame onto a 2x2 frame.
Either a massive wall or a wooden frame that actually holds the metal frame even once the wood gets older and gets dry or wet.

The actual reason for the fall with the pan was a slight leak that had caused wood rot so it did pull the stud screw out on one side. But who guarantees that would not happen by condensation either?

Last edited by a moderator:
The frames aren't even that expensive.

As you say, you have to be sure that whatever they're fixed to will take the weight. As for double sheeting, that's news to me, but I take your point.

The frames aren't even that expensive.

As you say, you have to be sure that whatever they're fixed to will take the weight. As for double sheeting, that's news to me, but I take your point.
Used to be in the instruction you do not get with the frame ;)
I think it was basically to prevent tile cracking.
Some of the early models even came with a predrilled fibre board sheet.

But guess the gesture you normally get when you ask for double sheeting so I gave up on that.
Maybe they have lifted that anyway. But I am pretty sure if there would be something like tiles
cracking under the load they would point out that it has not been tiled properly and if that fails
then the card with the double sheeting will be played.

But as I said I have still to come across problems with single sheeting. Just the noises on the first load are sometimes a bit worrying. I personally love the frames. But I have seen many struggling with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you were glad that the old nut had the same thread as the new valve.

Come on now MM. Anyone half worth their salt knows the thread pitch looking at it or reading the nut. The only one you won't get now is a prestex or a Kuterlite fine if half inch :smile:

Come on now MM. Anyone half worth their salt knows the thread pitch looking at it or reading the nut. The only one you won't get now is a prestex or a Kuterlite fine if half inch :smile:

Too true, but so much easier if you don't have to saw the old olive off while holding back the water with whatever is to hand :):)

Too true, but so much easier if you don't have to saw the old olive off while holding back the water with whatever is to hand :):)
One of the most useful gadgets I bought and I hate gadgets was a Monument Olive puller tool. It takes off 15mm and 22mm olives easily and quickly without cutting olives (and your fingers) with a saw.

One of the most useful gadgets I bought and I hate gadgets was a Monument Olive puller tool. It takes off 15mm and 22mm olives easily and quickly without cutting olives (and your fingers) with a saw.

I love gadgets. That's why 90 percent of my possessions are the worst inventions ever made!

I love gadgets. That's why 90 percent of my possessions are the worst inventions ever made!

I also love gadgets!! I need to win the lottery so I can spend my time shopping for pointless crap.

The monument olive puller does come in handy every now and then.

I personally find the 15mm olive cutter tool (which I was given by a mate who tried plumbing and hated it) is brilliant.

I mainly use it whenever I'm changing rad valves. I can rattle through a whole house in a couple of hours, and all the rad tails have been adapted for the depth of the new valves without hassle.

Like many gadgets, I could live without it, but I'd rather not.

I would like to buy the 22mm version but can't bring myself to spend the money.

Once you've cut an olive, you won't bother using an olive puller. Cutter takes about 2 seconds to use. Puller is more like 30 seconds to a minute.

I've got the Rothy olive cutter, does any size pipe from 15mm up. Beats the monument ones hollow.

I've got the Rothy olive cutter, does any size pipe from 15mm up. Beats the monument ones hollow.
As long as you get the nut away from the ring far enough. Love this thing.
Just needs deburring quite often to get it in. But hey P/C does a reasonable deburring tool and the Rothenberger pipe cutters got one build in as well.
Actually not a case for the worst plumbing invention apart from the fact that once you have used it you wish you could get one for microbore as well and can not get one for money.

You summed it up in one with that fast track the industry is full of idiots now

I don't understand olive cutters. If the pipe has been strangled even just a bit then the cutter won't fully bite the olive of the pipe. And if the pipe hasnt been strangled the olive will twist off gently with a pair of grips even on microbore

I don't understand olive cutters. If the pipe has been strangled even just a bit then the cutter won't fully bite the olive of the pipe.
For some reason my olive cutter did not know about that. And I am not gonna tell him that so that he will continue to do a cracking job. :joker:

Worst plumbing inventions ever? I'm going to show my age now... :)

1) All that crappy coloured sanitaryware. Remember SunKing? That would blast your eyes out first thing in the morning. Or Kashmir Beige, or Mink? The house I live in now had a mink suite in it when we moved in. I had it out almost before the removal van had got to the end of the road.

2) So called "medium duty" cylinders. The walls were so thin that they needed the foam insulation to stand upright, and you had to measure the re-heat time with a calendar.

3) 3mm baths. Hold them up to the light, and you could read a newspaper through them.

4) Sidewinder coils for converting direct cylinders to indirect. Nuff said.

Wasn't that when Augustus Caesar had just employed those Romans to design Rome's sanitary system? ...

I think that Caesar probably had the old Kashmir Beige suite taken out of the palace and replaced with some nice modern Indian Ivory. Or was it Champagne? I could never tell them apart unless I had one of each in front of me, but if you mixed and matched them it looked horrible.

I love my magnolia bathroom suite, it matches the walls.

And in my previous house, I liked my avocado suite too.

And I am not joking. I predict that in a few years, all those boring white bathroom suites will be whipped out and replaced with coloured ones.

I predict that in a few years, all those boring white bathroom suites will be whipped out and replaced with coloured ones.

I doubt it!!!

Black suites were in fashion a couple of years back. They show every soap streak. Horrible.

I doubt it!!!

Black suites were in fashion a couple of years back. They show every soap streak. Horrible.

I disagree. Everything comes full circle and coloured suites will be no different. All it takes is some Charlie in a so called style magazine telling everyone that avocado is the new white ......and its deja vu time

Well I for one certainly won't advise people to have a green, pink,blue, mink or any colour other than white suite.

Bloomin awful!! No offense to any fans/owners.

Its not a question of us advising more a case of custards stating i wanna minging suite......seen this turquoise beauty in b and q lol :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The worst plumbing invention ever..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock