Search the forum,

Discuss Them bloody cistern bloo things in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Unbelievable are they giving these things away at Tesco ? I have pulled out 4 in 2 weeks now bunging up drop valves .

:D the water saver ones ?

No , the round gooey things that colour the water, when they break down they are sucked into the drop valves and wont let them close, I think Tescos are giving them away .

Smurf hands :D

I had one of my worst plumbing related disasters because of those damned blue things. I think I may have told this one before but it's worth a re-tell given the topic.

I was at a customer's house to replace the bottom entry inlet valve on the old lady's toilet. I took my wetvac into the bathroom to empty the cistern and noticed there was a blue goo in there but knew my wetvac could easily clean it out so ahead I went. It took only 30 seconds to vac out the cistern and all was going well until I turned around to pick up my spanner. I was greeted with the horrific sight of everything behind me sprayed blue with that dye. It was up the vanity unit, on the wall, all over the thankfully dark blue carpet (thank heavens for small mercies) and it looked bad. The blue block had created a foam inside my vac and blown it out the exhaust! I nearly had a panic attack but got on with the cleanup using the wonderful wonderwipes. I was amazed at how well I managed to clean the room up until I made my second big mistake with the contents of the wetvac - I poured the contents into the shower tray and rinsed it down.

It dyed the white grout blue in the shower tray. I started having a nervous breakdown and didn't know what to do and considered resigning. The I had another bright idea and took a sponge, and sponged the blue stuff over the whole enclosure which made the grout at least match. It actually looked quite good! The homeowner was a very elderly lady in a huge house with five bathrooms and 2 carers looking after her. I confessed to the carer what I'd done and she took a look and said it looked fine so not to worry! I was so relieved I took the rest of the afternoon off and went to the pub.

Don't wet vac that stuff out of a cistern unless you can control where the exhaust is going.

Or don't use a wet vac at all on toilet cisterns :D

Sponge and bucket takes a min max then cistern out side and find a hose pipe wash all the blue out into a grid

I had one of my worst plumbing related disasters because of those damned blue things. I think I may have told this one before but it's worth a re-tell given the topic.

I was at a customer's house to replace the bottom entry inlet valve on the old lady's toilet. I took my wetvac into the bathroom to empty the cistern and noticed there was a blue goo in there but knew my wetvac could easily clean it out so ahead I went. It took only 30 seconds to vac out the cistern and all was going well until I turned around to pick up my spanner. I was greeted with the horrific sight of everything behind me sprayed blue with that dye. It was up the vanity unit, on the wall, all over the thankfully dark blue carpet (thank heavens for small mercies) and it looked bad. The blue block had created a foam inside my vac and blown it out the exhaust! I nearly had a panic attack but got on with the cleanup using the wonderful wonderwipes. I was amazed at how well I managed to clean the room up until I made my second big mistake with the contents of the wetvac - I poured the contents into the shower tray and rinsed it down.

It dyed the white grout blue in the shower tray. I started having a nervous breakdown and didn't know what to do and considered resigning. The I had another bright idea and took a sponge, and sponged the blue stuff over the whole enclosure which made the grout at least match. It actually looked quite good! The homeowner was a very elderly lady in a huge house with five bathrooms and 2 carers looking after her. I confessed to the carer what I'd done and she took a look and said it looked fine so not to worry! I was so relieved I took the rest of the afternoon off and went to the pub.

Don't wet vac that stuff out of a cistern unless you can control where the exhaust is going.

Unbelievable pal , I feel your pain , this is deja vous .
It happened to me around 6 weeks ago , sucked out an inch or two of water and what was left of the fecing blue thing, the customer ( tenant ) , screams stop , stop , I looked at the bed and the vac had squirted a blue jet of water in to the bottom of the bed , only the type with a bloody tv in , tenant going mad saying she wants a new bed , I am running about like a idiot to clean it up, got it cleaned up , she still wasnt happy , her and boyfriend had another go the morning after and eventually said it was ok , phew !!!!!!!

:D I don't get what the apeal of wet vacs are ?

:D I don't get what the apeal of wet vacs are ?

I didnt until I bought one
I took the pi** out of a mate struggling with one in the back of his van , now I know why . If mine bust I would go straight out and buy another , and I am a tight arsed Yorkshire man .

• Winner
Reactions: rpm
:D I don't get what the appeal of wet vacs are ?
Generally speaking it is an insurance policy, you wont always need it but when you do you will be glad it is plugged in and ready to go. Just don`t use it when bleach is present. :p

Sounds like they are about as good as battery powered syphon pumps.

Battery Operated Syphon - 20561 - Pump | BES.co.uk

On a job one day as a trainee, I said, 'I'll siphon out that cold water cistern we're removing'. My boss pulls out, proudly, a battery-powered pump and insists we use that instead. It did very little so he changes the batteries. Then it blocked with limescale and he clears it. Then it blocked again and he said he'd need to take it home and dismantle it (I never saw him use it again, thank God). Then he insisted we bale out the cistern and I pass him the buckets. This time I managed to let go before he was ready so the water went over his head...

I'll stick to siphoning out with a hose. And a bucket and sponge for toilet cisterns.

Sounds like they are about as good as battery powered syphon pumps.

Battery Operated Syphon - 20561 - Pump | BES.co.uk

On a job one day as a trainee, I said, 'I'll siphon out that cold water cistern we're removing'. My boss pulls out, proudly, a battery-powered pump and insists we use that instead. It did very little so he changes the batteries. Then it blocked with limescale and he clears it. Then it blocked again and he said he'd need to take it home and dismantle it (I never saw him use it again, thank God). Then he insisted we bale out the cistern and I pass him the buckets. This time I managed to let go before he was ready so the water went over his head...

I'll stick to siphoning out with a hose. And a bucket and sponge for toilet cisterns.

Get a vac mate , just dont go near them bloo things

Do you use yours a lot? I can't imagine what I'd do with one.

Sounding a bit like the old lady who found electric lighting to be useful for finding the matches to light her candles, but genuinely aware that I wouldn't know what to do with a wet-vac.

I also feel the pain and had the same issue few months back. I learned very quick not use the vac ones the goo is in. It also destroys the plastic parts inside the toilet how often I've seen this stuff makes the plastic crumble.

Sounding a bit like the old lady who found electric lighting to be useful for finding the matches to light her candles, but genuinely aware that I wouldn't know what to do with a wet-vac.

Al

Great for sucking bloo things out of cisterns lol , also , sucking out water to clean out CWSC , sludge out of rads , last few inch in the bottom of a pan before removal, sucking water out of horizontal pipes prior to soldering , sucking water out of boilers with no drain offs , starting a syphon going , clearing airlocks , etc etc , anybody anymore ?????

I'm a human wet vac then :D

They smother all your dust sheets towels etc withe regulatory blue/pink/green, stain everything they come in contact with and void the warranty of the components you fit, whats not to love !

Unbelievable are they giving these things away at Tesco ? I have pulled out 4 in 2 weeks now bunging up drop valves .

I dislike many of the household cleaners on the market, particularly the chlorine and ammonia based ones.

Vinegar and/or baking soda are much safer, cause less damage to surfaces and are all that's needed for most jobs. Also a lot cheaper than branded products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Them bloody cistern bloo things in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock