Search the forum,

Discuss Thoroughly dodgy plumber- who to complain to? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the pipes shouldn't have been on show, if it was priced to have the floor up. If it wasn't priced to have the floor up (it is more work to have the floor up obviously) then I can understand why he's done it.

Leaving piles of rubbish, and touching lilac paintwork up with blue. Yes wrong....but again some plumbers wouldn't have bothered touching the paintwork up at all.

In short, what I'm saying is, while the work doesn't appear to be brilliant. It's not the worse I've seen by a country mile. We see some god awful work on here.

Ok fair enough if that's your opinion- I'm unhappy as it wasn't what I asked for and the issues I stated do stand. What am I exaggerating? I don't have photos of everything, but what's wrong with those I do have to show my point?

Well to say that the copper pipe is annoyingly close to the socket. I mean really?

I'm looking at that boiler install and frankly I don't think that's a poor job at all.

Pipework is clipped, its all in copper as it should be. The cross overs have all been down with fittings, and not formed which is fine if you aren't the best on a pipe bender.

I can't view it with the naked eye, but this really isn't SHOCK HORROR crap work.

Last edited:
Dannypipe, sorry I don't think I am explaining well enough. There was no need to take the floor up- the ceilings below are not in, so there is easy access from downstairs. The floor level differences mean that pipes running through the wall in the bedroom can come out below the floorboards of the bathroom next door. Which is where those chrome pipes should have run-they should have gone below the bathroom floor, not into the bathroom at all.

Yep danny- as I said, no issue with the boiler install (though I would not recognise a problem if there was one). the boiler photo was just for info. The problems are elsewhere. Just annoyed that we don't have the boiler warranty.

Dancin- I'm afraid I can't remember, I will have to check and let you know tomorrow.

And thanks for the info re. decent boiler install danny- it's one less thing to worry about!

Yes you should have the boiler warranty, and I think if you asked for the pipes to be hidden then they should have.

There is no excuse for that.

I don't think you've had a total cowboy in your home though (which is good news for you). Maybe just someone who is stubborn and difficult and will just do it as he sees fit. I don't know. But I was expecting bad, bad work.

Please see our gallery of rubbish work (someone please post a link!!) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the perspective danny! It's just annoying that we've been quite specific, it has all been agreed and then he has just done things that look rubbish, aren't what we asked for, and now need to be put right at more cost. However, we have learnt to plumb and done a better job ourselves so there's an up side!

I think I will chase the warranty, let him know I am less than impressed that he has gone back on his assurances that he would sort the problems out and then cut my losses and finish the job ourselves. We've got all the materials at least (paid for!)

From the original post it sounds like the plumber you hired has got stuck on another job and left his gas fitter to do your job. He's made a couple of errors, have a polite word with the plumber and tell him your not happy and if he's genuine like you thought he'll sort it. re painting a patch of wall and moving/making good around some pipes where there is easy access really shouldn't be a major drama imo. Of course I'm speculating a bit here but I think this doesn't look like a difficult fix.

Thanks nickel. That's pretty much what he said when he came to look at the issues. He just never sorted it out!

I think it's great to have standards, and expect them to be kept.

Most of my customers expect really high standard work. So I wouldn't do as he's done and put the elbows like that. But it all comes down to time.

The old adage "time is money" is never more true than in plumbing.

Our time is a finite resource, and if you want a plumber to lift the floor to hide the pipe work, then he will want more money to do so.

If you were all agreed on this, and he blatantly ignored you, then you have every right to give him two options.

1. Come back and finish the job as you agreed.
2. Let someone else come and do it, and you with hold the money it costs you. (there is no reason you should have to pay twice).

Good luck!

Danny, I don't believe time was the issue, as the work could all be done from below- ceilings downstairs are not in. The situation with the floors being in and the ceilings not (for the purpose of access for plumbing) was discussed before he gave his quote. We will now be doing what he should have done in the first place- so it can't be difficult!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Well in that case. No excuses.

Sorry you've had bad luck. We're not all bad eggs.

Good luck in resolving it.

And your point re. standards, yes this is the problem. We're after a high quality finish and were clear about this from the outset. He assured us that he had high standards and would not do a job that was not finished to a standard he would accept in his own home.

Think we need to hear the p[lumbers version of events on here as easy to shoot someone down and criticise and i would guess you havn't had your boiler signed off because of a dispute between you both .

Think we need to hear the p[lumbers version of events on here as easy to shoot someone down and criticise and i would guess you havn't had your boiler signed off because of a dispute between you both .

Agreed!

All to often we hear one side of the story & it's seldom positive!

Of course this situation should never have arose for the OP, but it's as much down to the customer to ensure the situation is managed properly as it is for the installer!

I'm sure most would agree also & some have actually mentioned it that before any rash decisions are made discuss with installer in a calm manner & reach an amicable resolution that both parties are satisfied with!

As a whole there are genuine tradesmen out there who do nothing but exemplary work, but also they are human ultimately & mistakes can be made!

Hope you get this sorted for all those involved! Keep us updated!

I'm putting aside the fact there may be more to this story and imagining that this is in fact as black and white as it appears. If I was in the OP's shoes and the tradesman had failed to deliver what was quoted for and then disappeared without putting it right, I would get somebody else in to put things right. Then take the original tradesman to the small claims court and claim back what it cost you to put right. No expensive solicitors involved. I think you would have a strong case, since the contract between you and the tradesman was changed without your consent and the workmanship appears to be poor, i.e. dragging radiators across the floor and scuffing them.

Trying to get it resolved amicably is always the best option, but sometimes just not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thoroughly dodgy plumber- who to complain to? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock