Search the forum,

Discuss Thumbs down for hive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambed84

Gas Engineer
Hi gents (and ladies!)
Have a rant followed by a question...

In anticipation of the new regulations for smart control I fitted a hive v3 to my own installation about 6 weeks ago.

All hunky dory for a week. Since then, it's decided to give me grief!
Dips out of signal sporadically, no pattern located. Tried the usual batteries and moving stat to within 2m of receiver, to no avail!

I even phoned hive to clear up the problem.
I was told the problem was that “your house is made of bricks and that causes issues sir".

I asked what sort of a walls other people had as I assumed brick walls were common. Due to houses being built of them.

Hive support person did not find this funny!

A tad obnoxious I know, but I'm not accepting paying 200+ on smart controls to then have to unplug doorbell and anything else wireless AND put transmitter in cupboard with receiver AND turn auto scan off my router! It's beyond a joke!!

Ontop of that, new installations are to be fitted with smart controls meaning us engineers will have the constant headache of call outs to duff merchandise, potentially...

Is there something silly I'm missing or are smart controls just that pants?!!?

Can't you hard wire them ??

And I never like rf things as you get problems like your having

Hi gents (and ladies!)
Have a rant followed by a question...

In anticipation of the new regulations for smart control I fitted a hive v3 to my own installation about 6 weeks ago.

All hunky dory for a week. Since then, it's decided to give me grief!
Dips out of signal sporadically, no pattern located. Tried the usual batteries and moving stat to within 2m of receiver, to no avail!

I even phoned hive to clear up the problem.
I was told the problem was that “your house is made of bricks and that causes issues sir".

I asked what sort of a walls other people had as I assumed brick walls were common. Due to houses being built of them.

Hive support person did not find this funny!

A tad obnoxious I know, but I'm not accepting paying 200+ on smart controls to then have to unplug doorbell and anything else wireless AND put transmitter in cupboard with receiver AND turn auto scan off my router! It's beyond a joke!!

Ontop of that, new installations are to be fitted with smart controls meaning us engineers will have the constant headache of call outs to duff merchandise, potentially...

Is there something silly I'm missing or are smart controls just that pants?!!?
Never fitted a v3. What the difference from a v2?

I don't think so. There's nothing to suggest hardwired on the rear of the stat.
I'm with you. The boss thought it must be better than the t6360 or whatever it was we had as it has fancy lights... Too much fusspotery for my liking

only fitted one hive and it was a pain took over an hour of talking to hive to get it to function, these things need to be working straight form plug in. only problem i have had with nests is on s plan just the wiring.

only fitted one hive and it was a pain took over an hour of talking to hive to get it to function, these things need to be working straight form plug in. only problem i have had with nests is on s plan just the wiring.

That'll teach me to research first!
What are we saying is the best of a "bad bunch?"

I've fitted a few hives and never had an issue, can u not see if they'll try replacing the programmable stat and receiver incase it's just a bad product , especially since still under warranty , i mean when you say brick walls I mean many internal partitions are blocked walls n still work wireless products but depends on distances etc , but by your explanation it happens even when within the limits so that tells me it's a faulty product and I would rest until it was replaced and functioning 100%. Phone back u might get a nicer person on hives helpline,

I've fitted a few hives and never had an issue, can u not see if they'll try replacing the programmable stat and receiver incase it's just a bad product , especially since still under warranty , i mean when you say brick walls I mean many internal partitions are blocked walls n still work wireless products but depends on distances etc , but by your explanation it happens even when within the limits so that tells me it's a faulty product and I would rest until it was replaced and functioning 100%. Phone back u might get a nicer person on hives helpline,

I've multiple things that work on a wireless network.

Having done a bit of research it seems the band of ghz used on hive can be close to those used for WiFi which explains the fact it's intermittent. Only suggested way around is to have router on fixed channel. Problem with that is signal strength differs greatly from day to day!

I fitted a nest in my house, seems to be going well, east to instal but not sure when they'll hatch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thumbs down for hive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock