Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Thumping manifold, bouncing flow meter in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Wayne74

Wayne74 New Member

I have a Rehau underfloor heating system on the ground floor only of my house. Every so often, the manifold makes a knocking/thumping noise. When I look at the flow meters I can see the one that's making the noise and the little ball in the flow meter is bouncing up and down (so the water level is bouncing up and down, obviously). Could this be air in the system? It only does it when there is demand on that particular loop (the hall, so there's often demand as the temp changes due to the front door being opened). If I turn the pump speed down it simply changes the tempo of the thumping! Any ideas? The flow meters are beginning to look opaque so I guess the system needs cleaning out anyway, but the thumping has occurred on and off since the system was installed (now 5 years old).

2. Daveplumb88

Daveplumb88 New Member

Sounds like (boom-boom) you need to replace the TRV head for that particular loop. I've had it happen briefly when the head gets to a certain position while closing down (they can take a minute or two), but not constantly. Have you also tried tweeking the flow limiter &/or the flow/return blending valve?

3. Daveplumb88

Daveplumb88 New Member

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of visible discolouration in the flow limiter glass. Though if you've rads upstairs, have you got a magnet/filter on the primary return?

4. Sparkgap

Sparkgap Active Member

Just a thought: used to have occasional thumps on rad TRVs which were due to flow through valve being backwards! Have you checked the valve body to see if it's right way round for flow?

5. Uheat – Wojtek

Uheat – Wojtek Sponsor

Hi Wayne,

does it just happen to one flow meter?
    I've had a customer week ago with exactly the same symptoms at Uponor manifold.
    He replaced the flow meters and the noise is gone.

Thanks

6. Uheat – Wojtek

Uheat – Wojtek Sponsor

Hi Wayne,

does it just happen to one flow meter?
    I've had a customer week ago with exactly the same symptoms at Uponor manifold.
    He replaced the flow meters and the noise is gone.

Thanks