Search the forum,

Discuss Tips for Main water heater service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm due to service my first Main water heater next week. I haven't taken one apart before, so I'm a bit apprehensive. The boiler is two years old, but the flame picture has a yellow tinge, so a good clean is in order.
Most of it is straightforward enough - until it comes to the funny three-point turn to remove the burner. I have the servicing instructions but could do with some tips.
The instructions say to undo the large union connection below the burner (taking care not to lose the fibre washer). So I'm thinking once that's undone, (and after also removing the pilot assembly,) the burner can come out. How tricky is it to lift the skirt of the heat exchanger to make space for it to get out? And getting it back in again afterwards?
Tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone,
Jennie

It's a Multipoint BF. I actually did the service today, but advice is still much welcome.
I couldn't get the burner out. I followed the MI - removed pilot assembly, removed test pressure pipe on the left hand side, undid the big nut under the burner. I then tried to push it up inside the heat exchanger to do the 3-point turn. However, the burner was too wide to fit up inside the heat exchanger. I tried, but couldn't find a way. In the end, I managed to access various bits of the burner in situ, so I could brush it clean. So I did the service, but still would have liked to get the burner out. I'd love to hear how to do it.
Jennie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tips for Main water heater service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
I noticed the other day, I had to repair a leaky valve that fed water to the refrigerator and washing machine. I noticed after I turned the main water off, that, after cutting the pipe... a bunch of hot steaming water came out. I didn't expect that to happen. Another Texas winter event is...
Replies
Views
Please forgive the length of this post, but I must provide all the information to fully explain the issue. I am completely perplexed! My 43 year oldhome is in the country, on a well. Recently, I had a 20+ year old 40 gallon propane hot water heater professionally replaced. The house service line...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a cold water tank this tank feeds six properties in a straight line below my property is on the third floor so in the middle. The job would entail...
Replies
Views
My water stinks. Smells musty. I installed a Whirlpool water softener mid February of this year ('23) and it's smelled ever since. So here's the story: we live on a farm in southeast PA. Our well is 60' deep with the water table around 10'. Two houses supplied from the same well. One day I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock