Search the forum,

Discuss TMVs in hotels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozak1968

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I stayed in a hotel this weekend and the hot water to the bath and basin was very hot, i burnt my hand under it. I thought the regulation of TMVs to be installed has come in. Do hotels have to comply or is it on new installations?

Thanks

Done some research and TMVs are not required in hotels which seems wrong to me ... everyone must be on holiday. The forums empty!!

if I go to a hotel I want lashings of hot hot water, not like at home when it costs more seemingly

If I use a Hot tap anywhere, I expect HOT water to come out of it.
That's water TOO hot to touch.

But maybe because I was brought up to expect that, long before TMVs.

I also use the same caution with Fire, but I expect that someone will eventually require fire to be present at a maximum temp of 43c

I like hot water aswell, this was dangerously hot. The question that i asked, i found the answer.

WRAS G18.5 Terminal fittings or communal showers in Schools or public buildings and in other facilities used by the public, should be supplied with water through thermostatic mixing valves so that the temperature of water discharged at the out lets does not exceed 43 degree's C. So I get the general idea, but where is the cut off point, because Hotels are facilities used by the public so they would be required to have mixing valves in the bar toilets or the spa/health club changing rooms. Does this also extend out to the accommodation rooms?

Just to add to my previous comment. Hotels, by law, are required to cater for people with disabilities, and therefore Thermostatic mixers must be fitted. But I don't know if this applies to every room or just the one's which meet the Building Regulation Part M requirements.

On same theme.
Sometimes when out I take my young children to the toilet and there is just one tap with water set at one temperature it is too hot for my kids to wash their hands.
It is hot but I have no idea if it is below 43 degrees.
My local Debenhams (newish building) comes to mind but I know I have come across this in other places.

Anyway - makes me think that in those sort of situations the water temperature should be a lot lower because too hot for children to wash hands is not good for health.

43 degrees is very hot to the touch for a child.

Disabled facilities will have TMV's fitted.

We had a hotel in Germany with the same problem, where their clients were complaining they were getting scald by hot water. We already had a temperature sensor but we added an external probe which was wrapped around the copper pipe. This told the hotel maintenance team where the temperature of water was going too hot prompting them to act. We have an interface where the guys could see the whole system of sensors and their location within the hotel. This system turned out to be cheaper than fitting a TMV set up. Also they noticed due to our service keeeping historic data they could find out trends on which areas of the hotel were causing problems.

so what where the maintenance guys doing adjusting the temperature of the hot water when it gets too high ? i don't understand that ? are you saying that maintenance were trying to keep the hws flow temp at less than 50 degrees? prompted by the sensors?

this takes me back to when I was a boy and getting into a hot bath -what hits the water first-brings tears to my eyes just to think about it

this takes me back to when I was a boy and getting into a hot bath -what hits the water first-brings tears to my eyes just to think about it

Your feet ? That's how I get in anyway?

my feet could always take the heat, it was when you tried to put your butt in there the pain started...

For hotels, WRAS G18.5 is merely a recommended practice, but not statutory. As per Document 'IP14/03 preventing hot water scalding using tmv's'. (Not sure if this image will come out legible or not. If not, a quick google should bring it up).

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 18.51.58.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TMVs in hotels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock