Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet cistern farts after flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJH

Hi,
Has anyone got any idea why this toilet makes this noise after flushing? Many thanks.

Drains

Thanks Shaun- I'm not a plumber so do you mean where the water drains out from the cistern is the problem?
The plumber who installed it said there's nothing wrong with it and that it's the shape of the cistern, but a plumber that my partner works with saw the video and said it's a faulty diaphragm.
I just thought I'd post on here to get another opinion and see if anyone has encountered it before and if it is just the shape of the cistern. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Shaun- I'm not a plumber so do you mean where the water drains out from the cistern is the problem?
The plumber who installed it said there's nothing wrong with it and that it's the shape of the cistern, but a plumber that my partner works with saw the video and said it's a faulty diaphragm.
I just thought I'd post on here to get another opinion and see if anyone has encountered it before and if it is just the shape of the cistern. Thanks for your help.

I'm doubting myself now any chance you could take a pic of the internals of the cistern?

I'm doubting myself now any chance you could take a pic of the internals of the cistern?
Hi Shaun, many thanks - here's the photo of the internals. Hope this is ok. Cheers

IMG_5397.JPG

Hi Shaun, many thanks - here's the photo of the internals. Hope this is ok. Cheers

View attachment 31215

Can you hold the float valve up (so it doesn't refill the cistern) and flush the toilet ?

Does it still make the sound ?

Hi Shaun, just tried that - it still makes the sound

Right ok so not a full problem I would say it's the flush valve

You could tomorrow clean the washer see if that helps

Grab about 2" up from the base of the flush valve and give it a turn clockwise should pop out and you want to make sure the rubber washer is clean and not damaged

Hi Shaun, just tried that - it still makes the sound

Ahhh. Interesting. It's to do with the middle thingy. I held up the wire part that made it flush and it didn't make the noise. It didn't refill either. As soon as I let the wire part go, it farted and then refilled. Does this help you? Cheers

Ahhh. Interesting. It's to do with the middle thingy. I held up the wire part that made it flush and it didn't make the noise. It didn't refill either. As soon as I let the wire part go, it farted and then refilled. Does this help you? Cheers

As soon as you let what go the middle one or the right one ?

Right ok so not a full problem I would say it's the flush valve

You could tomorrow clean the washer see if that helps

Grab about 2" up from the base of the flush valve and give it a turn clockwise should pop out and you want to make sure the rubber washer is clean and not damaged

Hi Shaun, just saw this after I'd posted about the flush part. I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm more awake
As soon as you let what go the middle one or the right one ?
the middle one

Hi Shaun, just read your post properly about dismantling and finding the washer. Thank you The plumber is meant to be coming either tomorrow or Monday for something else so I'll talk to him about this and get him to check the washer.
It'd be my luck that I take it apart and then can't put it back together. cheers

Ps. I can't see any washer in that part

It's located where the water goes out when you flush the cistern

TBH it might be best to get the plumber back who installed the toilet

• Agree
Reactions: CJH
It's located where the water goes out when you flush the cistern

TBH it might be best to get the plumber back who installed the toilet
Yes will do - thanks for your help. At least we've narrowed it down now to the area that's making the noise. Cheers.

Screw the flush button back into the top of the flush valve, hold up the float on the fill valve (on the right) and press the flush button. Did it make the noise as the cistern emptied?
Now let go of the fill valve and let the cistern refill, did it make the noise this time?

Screw the flush button back into the top of the flush valve, hold up the float on the fill valve (on the right) and press the flush button. Did it make the noise as the cistern emptied?
Now let go of the fill valve and let the cistern refill, did it make the noise this time?
Hi, thank you - I did as you suggested and it made the noise as soon as the flush part has released all the water. It didn't do it at all in relation to the fill part (on the right).
The middle part has a long grey 'hook' (I thought was metal but is in fact grey plastic). As soon as this seems to 'drop' when all the water has gone, that's when it makes the noise. I tried holding this up before as it flushed and not letting it drop down and it didn't make this noise until I let it go. (The water had all gone. I held it for a while longer then released it and it made the noise. Only then and only once.) So I guess, yes, it makes the noise when the cistern has fully emptied. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet cistern farts after flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock