Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet cistern losing water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kieran

Hi all, just need help with a head scratcher. Got a call to a close coupled cistern losing water, every hour or so the ballvalve drops to refill it. Theres no leak visible (this has been going on for a year) and no water is passing by the siphon into the pan. I dried the pan and left toilet roll around the inside of it which was still dry the next day. I can actually hear water dripping which must be straight from the cistern into the waste. Any thoughts? Going to change the siphon anyway, just dont understand how the water is going straight to the waste instead of the pan. Thanks in advance

That must mean there are two faults, -
(1) There is water either passing through the flush valve, or passing out the bottom of cistern where the flush valve tightens on.
(2) You also have something wrong inside the pan that allows water to drip straight into the soil pipe.

I would firstly check the flush valve is properly sealed to the cistern base. Some cisterns are misshapen. Perhaps also replace the valve, as you say.
Just a thought, - wonder is it an old type syphonic toilet and someone has previously replaced the old syphon and Airex with a modern flush valve? That would mean a small hole left open in pan below the cistern. Toilet would never flush properly though if Airex removed

No its a new toilet, only a few years old. It has a normal dump type push button siphon. I checked around the pan and dont see anythin abnormal about it, water just empties straight into the pan. I agree there must be something wrong with the pan itself, just cant see where the round siphone hole can connect to the waste, they arent connected at all, apart from the bowl itself. Strange one

Maybe a fault in the pan letting water into sewer and even if you fixed the leak from the cistern there could be risk of sewer gases directly coming into cistern

If your 100% sure that it isnt going into the pan then have you checked the cistern for a crack at the back and the water running down the wall?

Long shot lol

I don't believe the water will drop straight into the waste it's not possible. You could put pepper into the bowel on all sites so then will see if there is any slight / minor leak into the bowel. Or as mentioned above did you inspect the cisternif there is any crack most of the time you won't see it if that's very minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet cistern losing water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Toilet continuously flushing/cistern filling. This happens regardless of what else is going on within the house (videos were taken before and after a shower but this happens seemingly randomly and probably happens when no one is home). As a result my water bill has considerably increased but I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just installed a combination all in one WC/small basin…. Out of the fill valve there is a small tube which emits a lot of water during the refill (I believe it is known as a refill tube) and is connected directly into the overflow tube that drains into the pan, Googling suggests...
Replies
Views
Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock