Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet coupling guidance rge plastic screws in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you guys part some of your wisdom for me, my daughter has moved into a house and the toilet inlet float is just catching the side of the cistern and sometimes does not fill. The inlet is the type where the float runs up and down the inlet mechanism. If I need to uncouple the cistern from the pan there looks to be two large plastic screws in the bottom of the cistern, do these just unscrew leaving the nuts behind as I have never worked on this type before it has always been the steel screws straight through that I have worked on. Any info greatly appreciated.

Any chance of a few pics

And have you tried just Turning the top part a bit so it doesn't catch ?

Any chance of a few pics

And have you tried just Turning the top part a bit so it doesn't catch ?
I am not at my daughters at the moment so cannot cannot take any pictures. Was a bit wary about trying to turn it but will try tomorrow.

No, they normally screw into metal wing nuts under the pan part of the cistern. However, if you are trying to rotate the inlet valve a bit, you shouldn't have to undo the cistern from the pan, although there are some where you do unless you have the right sized box spanner. The normal procedure would be:
1. Water off, hopefully at an isolation valve.
2. Slightly loosen pipe connection nut to inlet valve shank (say 1/2 turn)
3. Hold inlet valve and slightly loosen valve securing nut under cistern.
4. Rotate valve.
5. Hold valve firmly and re-tighten securing nut.
6. Still holding valve, re-tighten pipe connecting nut.

No, they normally screw into metal wing nuts under the pan part of the cistern. However, if you are trying to rotate the inlet valve a bit, you shouldn't have to undo the cistern from the pan, although there are some where you do unless you have the right sized box spanner. The normal procedure would be:
1. Water off, hopefully at an isolation valve.
2. Slightly loosen pipe connection nut to inlet valve shank (say 1/2 turn)
3. Hold inlet valve and slightly loosen valve securing nut under cistern.
4. Rotate valve.
5. Hold valve firmly and re-tighten securing nut.
6. Still holding valve, re-tighten pipe connecting nut.
Thanks for that I will be there tomorrow so I will give it a try

If the cistern bolts are plastic change them to some stainless steel ones. About £2.80 from toolstation. A lot better quality, less chance of the, leaking.

In a normal close coupled setup the screw heads are retained in a bracket, wing nuts/ nuts underneath;

WC Close Coupling Kit White

Are you saying the plastic screws are inside the cistern bolted through the pan?

If it's bolt through the pan, the nuts need removing from below;
Cistern to Pan Coupling Kit - toiletspares.co.uk

Last edited:
In a normal close coupled setup the screw heads are retained in a bracket, wing nuts/ nuts underneath;

WC Close Coupling Kit White

Are you saying the plastic screws are inside the cistern bolted through the pan?

If it's bolt through the pan, the nuts need removing from below;
Cistern to Pan Coupling Kit - toiletspares.co.uk
Yes they went through cistern and pan so I’ve changed them for the stainless steel ones when I moved position of inlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet coupling guidance rge plastic screws in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock