Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss toilet pan with no access to pipework in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. malc

malc Member

Hi, anyone got a 100% safe way of connecting pan to soil pipe, on these pans that have sides that go flush to wall.? thanks.

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Flexible pan connector maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

This is how I do it if possible, I sometimes will use a flexi waste but I don't like to if I can help it.
    You have to measure a lot(then measure again) and make sure that the rigid pipework with pan connector already inserted will not move when you push your perfectly measured pan up to it. A bit of water soluble lube - liquid soap etc. not something like silicone grease on the pan spigot will help too. You want the lube to dissapear or dry up after fitting.
    Mark your centres and pan sides so that you are always perfectly lined up.
    When you cut your soil pipe make it a bit too long - so that the pan doesn't quite touch the wall then shave the bit off needed to allow it. It's an extra cut but it's how I do it with confidence. As long as you have a good line on your soil pipe I find a multi tool a good choice to cut soil pipe, then de-burr the inside edge.
    I'll also try to choose a pan that has fixing holes going down so that I don't have to lift the pan over the plastic fixing things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

I agree with above. But you cannot always do this. Which is why I said a flexi. Not perfect but will do a job.

5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I like JCplumbs idea of making the soil pipe too long and trying the pan into place, so to know next cut will be accurate. I do it that way often.
    Not sure why no silicone for lube though? I prefer it for being able to remove toilet in the future.

6. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

Sometime they slip off ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

That's only if your spigot is too small. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. malc

malc Member

Thanks for replies guys, i know its quite a simple problem to get over but didn`t really want to use flexi, just wondered if anyone had come across a new fool proof fitting or method. thanks again.

9. Harvest Fields

Afternoon, the only reason that I suggested a flexi was that I do not know what set up you had, hence the maybe at the end of the reply. If you can adjust the existing pipe that you have and make a rigid snug fit then obviously this is a much better option. But I have fitted toilets where this is not always possible. Hope all goes well for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Member

I never use silicone for connections as many pans (mainly chinese manufacture - including British brands .) have spigots that are slightly tapered. After rotten experiences I ALWAYS use, as suggested, something that will eventually dry out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

There's no right or wrong if it works. I use flexis, they're brill if the spigot and pipe aren't properly aligned.
    As yorkshire Dave says, Chinese imports sometimes mean you have to make sure there's no room for the pan connector to slip off.
    You make your decision when you have eyes on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. vinniethecat

vinniethecat Member

I refuse to have anything to do with those abortions... no access to anything.

The only thing to do with an existing one is replace it with a sensible model.

13. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

I try not to do bathrooms, I don't tile and I don't do carpentry. Well except for the odd tile and floor boards. Concealed toilets are a pain in the ..;).

More money in boilers anyway.

14. Phil

Phil Plumber

These closed back WC's are best fitted with a Mcalpine flexi connector with a jubilee clip type pan con end, I turn the pan unside down and after I've tighend the band I Caulk the joint with silicone. Not loads but I know it will never leak so no need to worry.