Search the forum,

Discuss Too much work for one and too little for two in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Guys,

For the last year I've been working 24/7 chasing a heart attack. It's mainly looking after my established customers so I can't really decline the work. I really need some help. I have a part-time mate who would make a great employee but never wanted the responsibility of employing anyone and worry if there would be enough work long-term. A friend summed up my position by saying I had too much work for one and not enough for two. It made me think that this position must be one that many self-employed plumbers have found themselves in. I just wondered if anyone had any advice on taking that next step.

Thanks,

Jock

Feel for you as it's the nightmare of a one man band, far too much work one minute and then scratching round the next with no apparent reason. If the thought of employing someone is too scary , then it's a case of learning the hardest lesson of being self employed and learning to say no to work.

What about taking on an apprentice?, it may help a little?

You have a decision to make. Either stay as a busy one man band or look to expand and get to 4-5 employees, at that point you can come off the tools completely.
I am in a similar position and have been for the past 4 years now, although Ive had a full time subby for most of that time. So I am confident of being able to keep an employee busy, just struggling to work out how its affordable as the cost of employing someone is so expensive. I am having to talk myself into the fact I will earn less for the next few years while pushing expanding the business.

I noted you said a couple of things that sort of answered your own question.
Chasing a heart attack, - do you actually think by employing someone, your work load will reduce? Yes, maybe on some jobs it will help massively, but overall you will probably take extra work on to keep now the 2 of you very busy.
Never wanted responsibility of employing anyone, - Have you suddenly changed your opinion of the bother employing someone would cause?

Are you earning a substantial wage from your work as it stands?
If yes, then you can afford to surely cut back on your workload
If no, then charge more and say no to some jobs.

Work smarter not harder. What's the point of killing yourself.

First thing is to get your prices put up. This will result in some natural reduction in work, but probably work at the lower end of the value for money scale.

Second thing is to be able to say no.
Gets easier.

Work smarter not harder. What's the point of killing yourself.

First thing is to get your prices put up. This will result in some natural reduction in work, but probably work at the lower end of the value for money scale.

Second thing is to be able to say no.
Gets easier.
I'm struggling to say no at the minute. Full bathrooms and straight combi swaps.

Great advice thanks. To summarise: either I take someone on in the knowledge that I we probably earn less for a while or I charge more and learn to say "No".

Some excellent advice above. I use to employ one guy as a subbie for 2/3 days a week. He was good, reliable, cheap but not gas reg.
Every Monday he would hang the boiler ( I know....) And do all the wet work while I typically stripped the back boiler and fitted fire and fire place. He never let me down. But then he retired.

I knew I would struggle to find someone similar so crunched the numbers. If I employed one guy full time I would lose a lot of my own time organising and checking his work. I worked out the only way to really make it work was to have 2 teams of 2 and essential come off the tools. But with sick time, holidays and general no shows I figured I would spend a lot of time in overalls.
I was glad I decided against it a year or so later when a recession kicked in.

Get a MATURE apprentice. Someone who can already provide a second pair of hands from the off and will have a driving licence. Beware of anybody attending college at the mo though, they are apparently being taught how to pass the plumbing course rather than to learn plumbing........

My level 2 NVQ is in the post. Shall I shred it when it arrives then lol?

If you had a good mentor at work you'll be fine. I know of someone who passed NVQ2 and didn't know what 15mm copper pipe was............. :)

If you had a good mentor at work you'll be fine. I know of someone who passed NVQ2 and didn't know what 15mm copper pipe was.. :)
Then the college is cutting corners, agreed. Copper assessments still very much a part of the course.

I posted that in August. In September I took on a mature (37), untrained, plumber's mate. He's excellent. I sometimes wonder how I lifted things etc without him. I also took on a book keeper. That said, I'm still working 60-70hrs a week so I don't really know if I'm better off. I'm hoping once he's able to do more independently we'll be able to do more in less time. My new dilemma is whether to become VAT registered - it's difficult to make a decent living whilst employing someone. I get my customers to buy all the kit but it's still a struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Too much work for one and too little for two in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock