1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Towel radiator pipe centers in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Hi new to this forum I'm a plasterer by trade so go easy on me lol...
    In the middle of refurbing our bathroom and ive bought a chrome towel rad...existing pipe centers are 670mm . new rad pipe centers are 555mm... would i be best to bend pipes to fit new rad or fit elbows and extra 15mm to bring centers in. Any advice much appreciated thanks.

P.s I've already tiled so no chance of moving pipes under floor

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Do some nice little sets either in chrome copper or just plane copper

3. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Hi cheers for reply... what do you mean by "sets" ?

4. ShaunCorbs

These

image.jpeg

5. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Ah gotcha cheers for that will post some pics of my efforts when done thank you

6. kris

kris Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Id always where possible lift floors and alter the pipes so straight up into new TR,,,, (if poss )

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I also think it would have been too short for bending two 90 bends. But as mentioned from @kris@kris its much better way of lifting floor boards and alter the pipes it will look much more neat

8. ShaunCorbs

I'm guessing concrete floor and he's tiled it so no chance

9. Matchless.plumb

Maybe not . he hasn't even mentioned it yet... so very possible to lift the floor . especially when doing a refurb as mentioned earlier.

10. ShaunCorbs

Already has last sentence in ops question

"P.s I've already tiled so no chance of moving pipes under floor"

11. Matchless.plumb

I'd still lift few tiles to make it right, if it's were me. But everybody has a different way of solving issues. I mean it doesn't look as bad with those sets but should be done as you mentioned in chrome copper

12. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

No chance of lifting tiles as they are black quartz starlite and cost me £78 per square meter lol... ill do chrome sets hopefully wont look too bad

13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

how about a wider rad. Is that possible?

14. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Nearest i can find inside budget is the one with 555mm centers unfortunately...id have been happy painting the old one but her indoors must have chrome lol

15. Harvest Fields

Is it a towel rail?

16. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Yeah its a towel rail

17. kris

kris Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hi craig , i know most towel rails are 500 wide or 600wide , now a 500 wide towel rail centres are usually 455-470 a 600 wide towel rail pipe centres are usually 555-570 so even if very rare have u looked to see if there are any 700 wide towel rails which would have 655-670 pipe centres ,,, just a thought ,
    But at the end of the day its your home so if your happoy with offsets or bends then fill yur boots m8, nice bit of chrome pipe or even chrome rad snaps can make it half neat ,

• Like Like x 1
  18. Harvest Fields

That's where I was getting to Kris but he said he did not have the budget and the 700 wide ones can be quite expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Yeah that's the problem unfortunately already gone over budget on silly things so bends it will be ...should have considered the centers before tiling really but you live and learn.

20. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

Completely unrelated but is there a common problem with combi boiler which would give a poor flow rate for upstairs hot taps as the cold is fine but the hot flow seems alot slower and less pressure than the cold?

21. Harvest Fields

Isolation valve on the pipe partially closedor a bend in a flexi pipe if they have been used?

22. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

No problems with iso valves and there is a bend in flex but no bend in hot feed to basin tap and that's just as bad as the bath its not extreme just nowhere near as quick a flow as the cold so i thought maybe problem with boiler it looks a pretty old crappy thing

23. Harvest Fields

What make and model of boiler is it?

24. Craig Blick

Craig Blick New Member

It's an old ferroli combi...i dont have the model numberas previous home owner left no paperwork for it

25. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

I know what your next home improvement should be...
    Get GSR in to isolate & remove old boiler & then you can throw into nearest skip/council recycling center.
    Fit decent new combi boiler, controls, filter & PRV on incoming cold mains & hey presto no probs & peace of mind.,
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  26. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Would it be possible to run the horizontal pipework close to the floor to where the verticals need to be and then have the verticals coming up from some boxing? It's not like it'd be in the way under the rad.
    Would work in some cases, would need to see it though as might look daft in this case:)