Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Towel Rail Element - identifying the make ?? in the New Member Introductions area at

  1. MartinLJ

    MartinLJ New Member

    I need to replace an element on a dual fuel chrome 500 x 1150 mm 24 tube rail but can't identify the make. How do I do that? Picture attached

  2. Ch4 plumbing

    Ch4 plumbing Plumber GSR

    Hi martin welcome to the forum.

    Have you got a photo that we can look at to help?

    Failing that sometimes the cable has some details on it like kw rating and brand.

    You dont have to fit the same brand and there are plenty of different ones out there.
  3. MartinLJ

    MartinLJ New Member

    Thanks for the advice. I'll look there. Photo is at the top of the thread (it is on my screen anyway - sorry I'm new to this board)
  4. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ch4 plumbing

    Ch4 plumbing Plumber GSR

    Yep i can see that now, looks like a basic screw in type, shouldnt have a problem getting hold one one of those.
  6. Lou

    Lou Administrator Admin Top Contributor!!

    Welcome, have you fixed your problem?
  7. MartinLJ

    MartinLJ New Member

    I'm afraid not
  8. Lou

    Lou Administrator Admin Top Contributor!!

    Oh dear, perhaps some more people will be along today to offer their advice :)
  9. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR

    It will be a fairly standard. Normally just a half inch BSP thread. Like Shaun above said, screwfix sell them but most plumbers merchants will get you one.
    You will need to measure the length of it to make sure you get a similar output (heat).
    They only use a small amount of electricity, one or two amp.

    Is there a reason it's not fixed, is it that you haven't got round to it yet. can't find one, or is there another reason ?
  10. MartinLJ

    MartinLJ New Member

    Thanks - the reason is that its not as easy as I thought. .
    1 its not in a dry pocket I am told
    2 the rail needs to come off the wall to get the element out to look at it (length, wattage etc) so if I could possibly ID it without that nonsense its going to be quicker and easier to sort out
    Thats my logic anyhow..
  11. Last Plumber

    Last Plumber Plumber GSR

    It is not a dry pocket you're right.
    I don't think that you'll need to remove the rail though, they're normally only short.
    If you are not confident with Plumbing, you would be better off getting a plumber to do it for you.
    If you are going to do it yourself, we can advise you of course but if it goes wrong, you'll be in a pickle.
    Never leave a thermostatic valve open ended !!!!
    Not even if it has an '0' (off) setting.
    I have seen disasters.
    If you are intending on doing it yourself, let us know before you start, you may receive some very handy tips.
  12. Tesla

    Tesla New Member

    Hi Martin.

    It looks like the cap has been removed and that is the part that usually holds all product information on such as the manufacturer's part number and wattage.

    The towel rail may well have to come off. With the size of your towel rail I guess the element would be at least 400w which would measure around 420mm long if it is one of ours.

    If you can get a close up of the element from underneath, I should be able to tell if it's one of ours or not.
Similar Threads - Towel Rail Element Forum Date
Can you pipe a towel rad at the top? Plumbers Arms Dec 24, 2017
Radiators not working, bathroom towel heaters not workin Central Heating Forum Dec 16, 2017